Erik Kratz Recalled as Cole Gillespie is Placed on Disabled List

Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports

It sounds as though the move everyone was expecting to happen soon will be made in time for tomorrow's game as Erik Kratz will be recalled from Buffalo with outfielder Cole Gillespie being placed on the DL with an oblique injury. If you'll recall, Gillespie was picked up from the Mariners off waivers this past weekend and appeared in one game on Sunday against Oakland going hitless. I'm sure the Blue Jays are just tickled pink that they picked up what sounds like a player that was already injured in Seattle to play one game for them before getting put on the disabled list.

On the flip side, many people were calling for Erik Kratz to return to the big league squad after being optioned back on June 23rd. In a team that's seriously lacking any sort of right-handed hitting, Kratz will likely platoon with Adam Lind at designated hitter unless he is needed at catcher. Kratz is hitting .221 in the MLB this year, although he had a .318 OBP in June (you can always find a "bright" spot with arbitrary endpoints). In his past 10 games in Buffalo he is 12-36 with five walks, so maybe the Blue Jays are hoping his hot streak can rub off on some of the other players on the team.