FanPost

Osuna Matata: A Drink

darknstormy-full.0.jpg

All Right. This took a lot of experimenting and work. But I need a drink for the kid. So, I’m inventing one and dang anyone to heck if they deride it or otherwise crap on it. Some Irony: at 20 years of age, Osuna is too young to have one in most of the cities in which he's pitched. ANYHOW...onwards...

Ladies, Germs, Assorted Bivalves: I give you…..(drum roll)…

Osuna Matata: A Drink

Step 1: Make Ginger Beer (what follows is my mother's West Indian ginger beer recipe. She obtained it from her mother, so it's a family drink and perfected over 100 years of messing around with ginger, jars, and neighbourhood scamps putting things in it when it would be left on the porch to ferment. Keep an eye out for scamps, don't seal the jar while it's fermenting, and, if you try to make it, let me know how things went).

Get two big Osuna sized-thumbs of ginger root (just use the whole ginger root, okay? Kid’s got big thumbs)
-Puree the ginger
-3 cloves
-tbspn barley grain
-0.5 of a Florida Orange peel
-tbsp brown sugar
-tsp yeast
-1 Quart (~Litre) of water

Combine all in big glass jar. Lightly cover (do NOT seal: it will explode if you do). Set in the sun for three days. Once fermented gently in benevolent sunshine, strain thoroughly, and chill.

Step 2: add hooch

To make the cocktail, you’ll need:

10 oz (300 ml) Casa Noble Crystal tequila
2 limes, squeezed for juice
1 tbsp Canadian Maple Syrup
2 cups ice
2 slices lime

In a small bowl, stir together the maple syrup and lime juice until the maple syrup combines/dissolves.
Add to a pitcher, along with the tequila and ginger beer, and stir well.
Add the ice and stir until cold.
Serve in highball glasses garnished with lime wheels.