FanPost

Scouting report from a Rangers fan

Greetings denizen's of the Great White North from down here in the Wild Wild West. Very excited for the playoffs to begin, although I'll admit the Jays were the team I least wanted to see come playoff time. Still it's been interesting to watch these two teams take similar tracks to the post season. Down early in the division races, dealing with key injuries (a bunch of them in our case), the front office made moves which jump started the team (Price, Tulowitzki and Revere for the Jays, Hamels, Napoli, and Sam Dyson for the Rangers), and then both caught fire and won the division.

Since you know your own team, I figured I would give you guys a look at our roster from our perspective. I'll break it down by groups and positions. Keep in mind I'm not a big stats or Sabremetrics guy.

Starting Pitching:

This was a tale of two seasons. Started bad when Yu Darvish became the latest TJS victim in spring training. We were already going to be without Matt Harrison for several months with his back issues that kept him out the previous year. Martin Perez who got off to a great start in 2014 till sucumbing to TJS wasn't coming back till July Colby Lewis somehow managed to come back from having his hip re-planed. That sounds like a wood shop project more than a medical procedure. Then just for kicks the baseball gods decided to give Derek Holland shoulder injury in the 1st inning of his 1st game of the year which would keep him out till August. Basically we were left with Yovanni Gallardo as the only reasonable starting pitcher. Somehow the patchwork rotation (featuring such notables as Wandy Rodriguez) managed to keep us from falling completely into the abyss. Then late July came around. Perez came back, Holland returned, Colby Lewis had a career high in wins, and then came the big trade for Hamels. Some folks debate if he's truly an ace but when your team is 10-0 in your last 10 starts I'm not going to complain. Hamels is the number one guy for us without a doubt. After that it's a bit murkier. Holland may have the best stuff on the team, only question is are you going to get quick working, mow them down Holland, or goof ball Harry Carry impersonator Holland. If it's the former you have no chance. If it's the latter the bullpen needs to be on standby. Colby Lewis is tough as nails. Came back from a procedure that most folks said was career ending to have the most wins he's ever had. He relies on movement and location as his power has gone away. If the ball isn't moving though.....yikes. Gallardo is Gallardo. He's had success against you guys but he's had a hard time getting deep in games lately.That brings in Martin Perez. His stuff may be better than Holland, his change up in particular leaves batters wondering what the hell happened. He is coming off the TJS and will have 1 bad inning per game because he gets so amped up. He may be the odd man out this series with all your righty bats, though I could see a scenario where he tag teams with Lewis.

Relief pitching

This was also a tale of two seasons. After finally giving up on Neftali Feliz, they settled on Sean Tolleson as the closer. Don't read too much into that game last Saturday, that was his 5th straight day of work. He doesn't overpower you, but his selection and location led him to 33 saves in a year when he didn't take over till the middle of May. The addition of Sam Dyson can't be undersold. After a tough start to the year in Miami, he began to use his sinker here to lethal effect. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the closer next year. Keone Kela started up here, went to the minors, came back, and has been a force in the 7th inning though there are concerns about his health as they aren't letting him pitch back to back games right now. Jake Diekman and Ross Ohlendorf have been solid middle relief guys. Again this was a case of the FO addressing a weakness, and turning it into a strength.

Infield

Let's start with the middle infield. Again a tale of two seasons. Elvis Andrus was terrible at the start of the year at the plate, and he was booting balls fielding. Rougned Odor (pronounced O Door though I know everyone will have fun with it) was so bad they sent him back to AAA. We had to rely on Hanser Alberto at 2nd, who actually did a decent job. Then the light switch went on for both of them. Odor came back and went from a .150 average before to .260 with decent power. Elvis began to field his position like an all star and hit well with a career high in homers. They're becoming a great double play tandem with a staff that likes to induce ground balls. The corner infielders have been the best part of the team throughout the year. Mitch Moreland finally showed he could be an everyday player that you didn't have to sit against lefties while providing very good 1st base defense. And then there's Adrian Beltre. What can you say about him. As we over at Lone Star Ball like to say, "Adrian Beltre is life." Even at 36 he's a good defensive 3rd baseman. Still hitting for average and power. And his leadership can't be quantified. He's been playing with a bad thumb for months no and still brings it every day I'd go on, but I'd start to gush Suffice it to say without him, we are no where this year

Outfield

Rule 5 draftees are kind of a crap shoot, but when you hit your number it's great. In our case we did with Delino DeShields Jr. After Leonys Martin failed in CF DeShields took over that position as well as being the lead off man. Not a great average, but his OBP is solid and once he gets on he's a threat to run. His knee has been bothering him so he often gets replaced in late game situations by Drew Stubbs who can't hit, but is a plus defensive CF. Left field has been our Spinal Tap drummer position. Started off with the two Ryan's, Strausbourger and Rua. No thank you. Then we brought back the prodigal son in Josh Hamilton. He was serviceable, till he got hurt. Tried Joey Gallo out there, but his strike out issues were too big. Will Venable who they acquired from the Padres is a 4th out fielder. Period. We had the fun couple of weeks of trotting Mike Napoli out there and praying nothing got hit to him. Didn't burn us too bad. Finally Hamilton came back this past week, so the spot is his. Finally there's Shin Soo Choo. He may have had the best in season turn around I've ever seen this year. Hitting .086 in April, arguing with the manager, somehow his entire outlook changed around the all star break after a conversation with his wife where she told him to snap out of it. No you can't hire her to talk to Josh Donaldson if he's in a slump. He raised is average from.221 at the all start break to around .278. September featured a nearly .500 on base percentage as he took home player of the month honors.

Designated Hitter

If Prince Fielder doesn't win comeback player of the year after coming back from neck surgery to hit over .300 with 21 homers, I don't know why they have the award.

No, I'm not going to make a prediction on this series. That's just asking to look dumb. I do a good enough job of that on my own. Just hoping for some exciting baseball with the Rangers triumphing, as you hope the Jays do.

Two other items of note

If you are one of those folks who likes to tune in to the out of town radio announcers, definitely check out Eric Nadel. Voted to the Ford C Frick wing of the hall of fame last year. Been with the team since the early 80's after serving as play by play for the Dallas Blackhawks of the old Central Hockey League here in the states. He formed an amazing tandem with the late great Mark Holtz for many years, and has continued on becoming one of the best in the game.

Finally, I know you'll be taking shots at us in your game day threads. It's only natural. Just try and be a bit more creative than calling us hicks and cousin humpers as so many folks default to. Use your brains and come up with something more imaginative. We'll apprecaite the humor.