Texas Never Whispers : Jays Earn Split Behind Doc, Hill

New, 2 comments

The Happy Recap

Behind a masterful outing by Roy Halladay and some well-struck homeruns, the Blue Jays closed out their series with a 6-1 lead , fighting back to a 2-2 series split after dropping the first two and closing out April with a winning record.

Doc was simply awesome, striking out 8 over a complete game, walking none, and surrendering only 5 hits and one run (an RBI double in the first inning by Corky McSteroids). After the 1st, Doc just shut everything down. Whatever concerns over his velocity and declining strikeout rates don't seem very important now, as he has been effective this season striking out as many as 10 and as few as 2. On the season, he's averaging 6.3 K/9, with an ERA of 2.28 and a WHIp of 0.98. He also has gone 4-0 for the first time in his career.

The Jays struck in the 2nd with a solo HR from Troy Glaus and a two-run job by Aaron Hill. Great to have the mighty Troy back. That was really all the good Doctor needed, although the Jays scored 3 more, including Adam Lind's 3rd of the season, showing that hopefully his dramatic power increase of last season was for real (I think it was).

Jays of the Day
Doc , obviously. Hill for another splendid day at the plate.

By the way, if anyone got that Pavement reference, I love you.

The Blues Are Still Blue: Injury Update
No sooner did the Jays welcome Glaus back than they lost another, in the one area that had yet to be hit by injury, the starting rotation. Gustavo Chacin was placed on the 15-day DL, although it is by no means clear that he will be ready to come back in 15 days.

Interestingly, rather than re-summon the recently demoted Towwers from the bullpen and recall Vermilyea, or promote Janssen or Marcum (although Marcum is not pitching well at the moment), the Jays have decided to promote Dustin McGowan from AAA to make the Thursday start against Cleveland's lanky lefty Cliff Lee (CllCL? somehow I don't think that is going to catch on). I hope this is more than a one-start tryout, and I perhaps would have liked to see McGowan get another month or so at AAA before being called up, but he has been excellent at Syracuse and was due to come up at some point anyway. I am very excited to see him as he seems to have finally recovered from his 2004 Tommy John surgery, the associated control problems, and his 2006 diagnosis of Type II diabetes.