More Furcal Rumors: Updated 12/10 am

New, 35 comments

According to MLB.com Rafael Furcal has four teams that are seriously interested in him: Dodgers, Jays, Royals and A's. This quote interested me:

"Toronto and Kansas City told me the only guy they would go to ownership for is Furcal," Kinzer said in the report. "They're serious."

If you were JP would Furcal be the 'only guy' you would go to ownership for? If everything was equal wouldn't you go to ownership for, oh, any of a dozen DH types? Or for that matter any of half a dozen free agent starting pitchers?

Furcal turned down a four year $35 million contract from the A's. I'm not sure I'd want to give him any more than $10 mill a year. I also don't think I'd want to go beyond 4 years with for a 31 year old SS who has a history of injury problems.

Of course, if I was Rafael I might not want to join the Royals, though they are improving and they are in a very weak AL Central. But if they are truly thinking about trading Zack Greinke for Jeff Francoeur, I'd run in another direction. Can you imagine a worse trade?

[Note by hugo, 12/10/08 8:26 AM EST ] Update:  Griffin says Furcal's agent is just using the Jays to get more leverage and there's no chance of the Jays getting Furcal.  But of course he has to say that, since he's already sworn up and down that there's no way the Jays are in on anyone major.  I'm not saying he's wrong, but we will just have to wait and see