Hold On, Hold On: Game 12, Toronto Blue Jays at Texas Rangers

New, comments

Behind an incredibly strong effort from Doc Halladay, some timely hitting, and several defensive miscues by the Rangers infield, the Jays defeated Texas 4-1 last night . Newcomer Joe Inglett acquitted himself reasonably well, and I wouldn't mind seeing some more of him versus righties, so long as he stays sharp. Aaron Hill was the big star at the plate yesterday though, accounting for 3 RBI out of 4 runs for Toronto. He looked generally good out of the 2-spot, though he got a little lucky when he swung at the first pitch with two runners on and saw the ball bounce of Michael Young's glove in the hole. At .349/.396/.488, he's certainly made his case for the top of the lineup. Only Rios, who walked again yesterday and is looking like he has legitimately added some patience (or perhaps folks are just being more careful with him) has a higher OBP.

Doc was brillant throughout, going the distance and only losing his shutout in the 9th after successive hits by Josh Hamilton and Marlon Byrd, who doubled in Hamilton to break up the Bid. Doc struck out 6, walked one, and needed 110 pitches to complete the game. He was fantastic. Cathal Kelley of the Star has an interesting theory about how Doc pitches better in the cold weather.

Today, A.J. Burnett, who had some problems his last time out and who has only 4 Ks to 3 walks over his 10 2/3 innings, will pitch against Scott Feldman, a righthander who will be making his first career start. Feldman is starting b/c the Rangers need another pitcher due to their doubleheader on Thursday. He has been a useful relief pitcher for Texas. The Jays will be trying to make it 3 sweeps in a row. Unfortunately, one of those sweeps was perpetrated upon them, but if the Jays win today they will be 7-5 and either tied for first or alone in second place, depending on what the Orioles do.

In other big news, as Torgen and Chengy discuss in the comments, B.J. is back! Ryan is back in less than a year since his ligament replacement surgery. Brandon League was optioned to make room. League impressed in spring training but has struggled with his control since the beginning of the season. Whether that's due to some mechanical problem or just not getting regular enough work, it's a problem that can be more easily solved at AAA.

Here are the lineups for today's game:
Toronto Blue Jays
LF Shannon Stewart
2B Aaron Hill
RF Alexis Rios
CF Vernon Wells
DH Frank Thomas
1B Lyle Overbay
C Rod Barajas
3B Joe Inglett
SS John McDonald
P A.J. Burnett

Texas Rangers
2B Ian Kinsler
SS Michael Young
RF Josh Hamilton
3B Hank Blalock
CF Marlon Byrd
LF David Murphy
DH Frank Catalanotto
C Gerald Laird
1B Ben Broussard

Interesting to see Hill in the 2 spot again. I wouldn't be surprised if this were a permanent thing.

Today's title is brought our way by the lovely Neko Case, whose The Fox Confessor Brings the Flood has been pretty much in constant rotation since its release. She almost makes me hope that my daughter Anna (who, incredibly, is now almost 14 months) will run away from home at age 15.