All the Critics Love You in New York: Game 3, Jays at Yankees - April 3, 2008

A little Prince for everyone today. I will not deny that I'm a big Prince fan. Today's title, of course, comes from his classic off 1999.

Will we be able to get the game in today? My brother hopes so, since he's there. I hope so as well, since I'm all set to watch Dustin McGowan take on Phil Hughes. There was some talk that McGowan wouldn't be able to make his start after he was sent back to the hotel yesterday to get some rest with what was apparently flu-like symptoms, but McGowan is apparently ready to pitch today, assuming there's a game.

The Jays took yesterday's game 5-2 behind excellent pitching by AJ Burnett, Brian Tallet, and Jeremy Accardo, and a big night from Vernon Wells. Mockingbird takes a great look at A.J. pitch distribution and location last night and concludes that AJ is a bit of a fibber. Of course, if he keeps besting the Yankees, we can forgive him. Not enough of the season has gone by to really draw many conclusions, so let's just keep the good pitching going and try to get some good at-bats against the future star.

Marco Scutaro had x-rays today after being hit on the hand by a pitch yesterday. Luckily, the X-rays were negative and Scooter should be good to go. The Jays couldn't really afford an injury to Scutaro, since Rolen is expected to be out for quite a while longer. By the way, I'm hoping that Gibbons' decision not to use McDonald at SS in the 9th after Eckstein grounded into a double play to end the top of the inning was based on the idea that Scutaro might have had to come out of the game and Mac would be needed at 3rd. I know Gibbons has stated that McDonald wouldn't be a defensive replacement for Eckstein late in close games, and I don't have a problem with Eckstein's defense (which has always been respectable before falling off last season), but clearly the Jays are better off with J-Mac at SS late in close games than they would be with Eck. That's not a knock on the diminutive scrapper, as the Jays would be better off with Mac than virtually anyone in that situation.

In other news, Syracuses's season started this afternoon, and there's some good news to report. Adam Lind homered off the much-lauded prospect Homer Bailey, and David Purcey pitched an absolute gem of a ballgame .

The lineups:

Toronto Blue Jays
SS David Eckstein
LF Matt Stairs
RF Alexis Rios
CF Vernon Wells
DH Frank Thomas
1B Lyle Overbay
2B Aaron Hill
3B Marco Scutaro
C Greg Zaun

P Dustin McGowan

New York Yankees
DH Johnny Damon
SS Derek Jeter
RF Bobby Abreu
3B Alex Rodriguez
1B Jason Giambi
2B Robinson Cano
LF Hideki Matsui
C Jose Molina
CF Melky Cabrera

P Phil Hughes

Scutaro and Matt Stairs, who has had some arthritic hip issues, return to the Jays lineup, but Jorge Posada continues to miss time with a stiff right shoulder.

By the way, the Tigers are not very far in their quest to score 1,000 runs, nor to establish their status as the best offensive team of all time, as professional moron Steve Phillips avers. Let's go Jays!