I Am Not Your Broom: Game 6 - April 6, 2008, Boston Red Sox at Toronto Blue Jays

New, comments

Today's title comes from the amazingly prolific band They Might Be Giants, who have been around long enough so that they were both the first show I've ever seen (back in Middle School at an all-ages show at Webster Hall in NYC) and still putting out records that my one-year old daughter just loves (I Am Not Your Broom is a song off her favourite record, No!, which they put out a few years ago, and I thought it appropriate given that we are watching the game together today and the Jays are going for the sweep).

In yesterday's battle of two young pitchers, Clay Buchholz looked to be a little more comfortable early on, as Jesse Litsch struggled a little with control and needed to be bailed out by sharp defense, but in the end it was the Jays that came out on top as they jumped all over Buchholz in the 6th inning. Lots of Jays got in on the act, including Frank Thomas (2-5 with a 2-run HR), Lyle Overbay (2-4 with an RBI single to plate the Jays' first run), Alex Rios (2-5 with 2 doubles), Vernon Wells (1-3 with 2 walks and an RBI single), David Eckstein (3-5 with 3 RBI), Aaron Hill (1-3 with a walk and 2 runs scored), and Marco Scutaro (2 walks, 2 runs scored). Tallet, Wolfe, Jason Frasor, and Randy Wells chipped in a scoreless inning apiece to nail down the 10-2 win.

Today, the Jays go for the sweep in their 1st home series of 2008. (By the way, Jeff Blair has an enjoyable and well-written piece about the home opener in the Globe and Mail. Doc Halladay will face off against Sox ace Josh Beckett, who is making his 1st start of the season. Beckett, last year's runner-up for the Cy Young, has been experiencing some back spasms. Beckett supposedly showed up to camp a little out of shape and overweight, which can't have helped his back. Or perhaps he threw it out endlessly screaming for no apparent reason while on the mound. Doc will be making his second start after he was on the short end of a tough 3-2 loss to the Yankees on opening day. With Curt Schilling out indefinitely and 2 youngsters (Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz) and a 41-year old knuckler in the rotation, Boston will need Beckett to pitch well and healthy if they want to repeat as AL East and World Series champions.

I'm just excited that today's game is on TBS. I've had major issues with MLB Extra Innings this year (though the fault is not with the package but with my awful cable company (damn you, Comcast!) which claims that the package is out for my entire area.

Anyway, here are the lineups for today's game. As you can see, John MacDonald will be making his first start of the season at SS, so it seems like those who suggested that he might be Doc's personal SS might not be too far off. In addition, Shannon Stewart will be starting against a righty after Matt Stairs had an awful day at the plate yesterday, striking out 3 times in 4 at-bats - it wouldn't be surprising if his hip was still bothering him. Let's face it, the more games Stairs has to sit against a righty, the better the Jays seem off for having Stewart instead of Sparky. Aaron Hill will hit second, which will excite those who have been advocating for him to move up in the lineup. And Zaun will sit today as Barajas gets the start.

Boston Red Sox

2B Dustin Pedroia
1B Kevin Youkilis
DH David Ortiz
LF Manny Ramirez
3B Mike Lowell
RF J.D. Drew
C Jason Varitek
CF Jacoby Ellsbury
SS Julio Lugo

P Josh Beckett

Toronto Blue Jays

LF Shannon Stewart
2B Aaron Hill
RF Alexis Rios
CF Vernon Wells
DH Frank Thomas
1B Lyle Overbay
3B Marco Scutaro
C Rod Barajas
SS John MacDonald

P Doc Halladay

In other news, B.J. Ryan pitched an inning for Dunedin yesterday and reportedly felt very good. This is good news, as the bullpen, which has been just fine anyway, will be even stronger once B.J. returns.

Wow, would a sweep against the Equally Evil Empire be sweet. Let's go Jays!!!