clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Spend Your Summer Thinking About the Apple - Game 60, Jays at Yankees

Little known but much loved The Mayflies USA kick us in today, and the Jays are in my hometown for a 3-game series, hoping to put a LA series that ended on a sour note behind them and win a couple against the Yankees, who seem to perpetually underachieve in the early part of the season. <p>

A.J. Burnett was the hard luck loser, Rod Barajas hit another homerun, and it's probably not worth mentioning anything else about the game except to say that no closer is infallible. <p>

The big news today is that Joba Chamberlain makes his first ever MLB start against our heroes. With the amount of hype surrounding Joba and the Yankees, we'll see if Doc will be able to get a word in edgewise. He usually lets his pitching speak for him. I find Joba immensely annoying, not as a curmudgeony guy who doesn't like when people show emotion - certainly there's nothing wrong with some celebrating after you close out a close game, but striking out Aubrey Huff with a runner on 2nd and 1 out in the 8th inning of a 4-1 game hardly merits extravagant celebration. I'm confident I would feel the same if Scott Downs acted that way, and Downs has been every bit as good as Chamberlain so far this season. Joba, come back when you have a phantom tatoo of a snake on your face.