Game Thread for Game 98, Jays at Rays

New, comment

Putting this up early because I'm going to be on the road for most of the day. Hoping it will be on radio here, would be good to kill the miles listening to it. We have John Parrish going up against Edwin Jackson for the Rays. Parrish has made two good starts for us, hoping that can continue because the way we are swinging the bats the pitchers have to be near perfect. Edwin is 5-6 with a 3.93 ERA, not that it matters. Our bats make every pitcher look like Bob Gibson.

The whole team seems to be in a slump with the bats, except for Lind, .378 BA for July and Overbay who is hitting .326 for the month.

I guess the one thing that is reassuring is that the arrival of Cito did not magically cause us to start hitting with power and with RISP. Some of them look more lost at the plate than they did before Cito took over. In July Rolen is batting .149, Stair .154, Wilk .158 (why is he still on the team), Barajas .150, Inglett .238. Rios is hitting .286 but with no power at all and if we are going to win he's going to have to hit some home runs. How a guy can go from 24 one year to 4 the next when he is apparently health?. They say that he really puts on a show during batting practice, yet during the games he's a singles hitter. Starting to wonder if the power from the last couple of years was a fluke, maybe this is the kind of hitter he is? And that's the question for today's poll....

Poll

How many home runs is Alex Rios going to end up with this season?

This poll is closed

  • 16%
    4?
    (1 vote)
  • 0%
    5 to 7
    (0 votes)
  • 0%
    8 to 10
    (0 votes)
  • 33%
    11 to 14
    (2 votes)
  • 50%
    15 to 20
    (3 votes)
  • 0%
    He is going to find his stroke 20 plus.....yeah right.....
    (0 votes)
6 votes total Vote Now