clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

And I'm Looking Through the Glass Where the Light Bends At the Cracks: Game Thread, Jays at Tigers

Lineup

Toronto Blue Jays @ Detroit Tigers

08/11/08 7:05 PM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays Detroit Tigers
Joe Inglett - 2B Curtis Granderson - CF
Marco Scutaro - 3B Placido Polanco - 2B
Alex Rios - RF Carlos Guillen - 3B
Vernon Wells - CF Magglio Ordonez - RF
Matt Stairs - DH Miguel Cabrera - 1B
Rod Barajas - C Matt Joyce - LF
Adam Lind - LF Gary Sheffield - DH
Lyle Overbay - 1B Edgar Renteria - SS
John McDonald - SS Brandon Inge - C

After looking great against Oakland and terrible against Cleveland, the Jays hope for better luck in Motown this week. Shaun Marcum faces off against Justin Verlander in the first game of the series, with Marcum hoping to build on a great performance last time out (7 innings, took a no-hitter into the 6th, 1 run on a Bobby Crosby solo shot, 2 walks, and 7 Ks). Of course, Oakland's offense doesn't exactly stack up to Detroit's, so we'll see how it goes.

Maybe you heard about Gary Sheffield's whinging recently. Apparently Sheffield told the Boston Globe that he didn't like DH-ing because it makes it hard to be a team leader. Another thing that makes it tough - being a surly a-hole and complaining about your role on the team to an out-of-town newspaper for no other reason than it is a huge media market, and making $14 million while OPSing below .700. Let me just say that I am not a fan of Sheff's.

I am, however, a big Vernon Wells fan, and I am very happy to see him out there in CF again for the first time in too long. Stay healthy and play well, Vern!

My final thought - for how long can we keep hitting Stairs in the middle of the lineup? What did Lyle do to earn hitting 8th while Stairs is producing less but batting 5th? Do we really need to have Scoot batting 2nd?

Out to run, be back for the game. Let's go Jays!!!!