clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Bring on the Major Leagues: Monday Minors Notes

Well, after yesterday's beating at the major-league level, and with the off-day today, let's check on how some of our Jay padawans are doing. By the way, today's title comes from the great Pavement song "Major Leagues," from their last record, Terror Twilight.  For a band that pretended not to care, Pavement was pretty amazingly consistent - I love all 5 of their records.

Brett Cecil had a terrific start yesterday against the Rochester Red Wings, going 7 innings and yielding no runs on just 2 singles by old friend Howie Clark.  Cecil, who outdueled fellow pitching prospect Phil Humber, struck out 6 and walked 1.

Travis Snider was 0-1 but did have two walks in the game.  He is now hitting .375/.444/.563 over his short time in Syracuse.

Jeremy Accardo continues his rehab at Syracuse.  Thus far, he has given up 1 earned run in 3 one-inning appearances, striking out 1 and walking none.

Scott Campbell continues to excel in AA.  Everyone's favourite Kiwi is hitting .324/.419/.462 on the season, is absolutely dominating right-hand pitching, and has made only 5 errors at second base, while hitting 9 home runs.

Campbell's teammate, J.P. Arencibia, is also having a great season.  Arencibia is hitting .296/.305/.532 since his callup to New Hampshire, with 13 HRs in 216 at-bats.  Arencibia now has 26 HRs and an .873 OPS over the season with Dunedin and New Hampshire, and just needs better control of the strike zone before he's ready to move up again.

Our 2008 1st Rounder, David Cooper, is off to a fast start and taking advantage of the fact that he was the first 1st-rounder to sign.  Cooper is hitting .354/.415/.521 at Lansing over 96 at-bats with 12 extra-base hits and a 10/14 BB/K ratio so far.

Cooper's infielder teammates at Lansing: Kevin Ahrens, John Tolisano, and Justin Jackson, have cooled down considerably.