clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Big Big News!!

Matt Stairs has been designated for assignment. Apparently the Jays are trying to work out a trade for him. Matt has been hitting .250 this year with 11 home runs and 44 RBI. After a terrific season last year, this season has been a huge let down. I was hoping he would be traded at the deadline but is good to move him on. Hopefully he can hook on with a contending team and have a good finish to the season.

But the real surprising part of all this is that Travis Snider is going to replace him on the active roster. JP has been saying that Snider wouldn't be called up in September when the rosters expand and I was sure he didn't want to start the arbitration clock on him, but here he is. I couldn't be happier, will be great to get a look at him. I hope Cito puts him in the lineup every day so we can get a good idea of what he can do.

Snider was hitting .344 with 2 homers and 17 RBI in 18 games since being promoted to Triple A Syracuse. Cito says he will play left and right field and some DH.

I suppose we should have known something was up when Stairs wasn't in the lineup tonight, but I just figure he wanted to give him a day off considering how poorly he's been hitting. It really is a great move, Stairs wasn't going to be a part of the team in the future and we aren't going anywhere this year so let's take a look at our future.

Update, update....

According to this Stairs is going to the Phillies and we will receive a prospect in return.