Mike Toth Gone From Sportsnet

New, comments

I generally don't like to cheer when a guy loses a job, but in this case I'll make an exception, Bruce Dowbiggin in the National Post reports that 'the veteran sportscaster had not had his contract renewed' by Sportsnet. Toth, as you might remember, wrote a piece telling us what a terrible guy Roy Halladay was for not talking to the press and not pitching in the WBC, among other things. Hugo wrote a great piece on it back when it happened.

More recently Mike gave us another Toth truism:

"This is going to sound harsh, but be that as it may, here it comes: There are no female sportscasters that I can think of that have more knowledge than their male counterparts."

You would think by now no one would be dumb enough to say the women weren't as smart as men. As much as sportscasting and, apparently, writing for late night TV talk shows, are two of the few places that still seem to have a wall up to stop women from getting a job. Of course women can do as good a job as men at sportscasting. Yeah there are fewer women than men in the job. Part of that is because more men than woman are interested in sports but a lot of it is because of idiot thinking like Toth's.  If you have good knowledge of the sport you are covering and can express your self well, it doesn't matter what gender you are, you can do the job.

But then, since Toth wasn't very good at the job, he had to say stupid things to get noticed.