Jays to Sign John MacDonald?

New, comments

MLB Trade Rumors have a couple of Jay rumors.

First they have a link to a Twitter from Ed Price of MLB Fanhouse saying the Jays are about to sign John McDonald for $1.5 million for the 2010 season. A move I really don't understand. As Trade Rumors points out his .258/.271/.384 line from last year includes career highs in slugging average and OPS. I guess if we aren't competing this season we might as well overpay for a defense only 35 year old SS. That's rebuilding for you. If you are looking for signs that we are tanking this season, that one is a 10 foot neon flashing sign.

Also Jordan Bastian has a piece up saying the Jays are going to make an offer to free agent catcher Yorvit Torrealba. Now that one I can understand a little better, he wouldn't be my first choice at catcher, but gets on base a better than Rod Barajas and is 3 years younger. I would rather them try to trade for Ryan Doumit but Torrealba isn't bad.

Jeff Blair from the Globe and Mail has tweeted (twitted? twonked? I'd learn the proper term if I cared at all) that a 'baseball guy' told him that there is a 90% chance that Lyle Overbay gets traded at the winter meetings. No suggestion to whom he'd be traded to or what we are looking to get back.