Spring Game Recap: Jays Thump Rays 15-4

New, 2 comments

I know spring games mean nothing but it is nice that we scored 4 runs off Matt Garza, isn't that more runs than we got off him all last season in 4 games? We also scored 9 runs off top Ray pitching prospect Jeff Niemann (well top after David Price).

Brad Mills, whose chance of making the team went up with Janssen's shoulder soreness, didn't do great giving up 4 runs in 5 innings, including a homer to Carl Crawford. He did get 4 strikeouts and 8 ground outs to 3 fly outs. So not a terrible showing but not exactly reaching out and grabbing one of the free spots in the rotation. Jason Frasor, Shawn Camp, Brandon League and Jesse (Cy) Carlson shut the Rays out over the last 4 innings. I really expected Frasor to be traded by now, maybe a couple of good showings in spring will speed that along.

Offensively, well, let's start with what's important: Jason Lane went 2 for 3, with his 5th double of the spring and drove in 2 to give him 12 RBI so far. He's hitting .378. We discussed this in the game thread but Mike Wilmer said that Kevin Millar would make the team over Lane because Millar could play first and third and left and right field. But Millar hasn't played any 3B since he played a big 11 innings in 2002 and hasn't played the outfield since 2005. Anyone want to see him play those spots this year? Lane has played 1B before and I'd be surprised if he plays it any worse than Millar and he can play all 3 outfield spots. Add in that Millar is 37 and Lane is 31, and that Lane is killing in spring, I'd rather have him.

In interest of, well not fairness, but something approaching fairness, Millar was 1 for 3 today, with a double and 2 RBI. He is hitting .250 so far this spring. He hasn't been bad but if I can only take one or the other....

Sean Shoffit was 2 for 2 with a homer, Russ Adams was 2 for 3 and is hitting .357, Jose Bautista played short and was 1 for 3, Alex Rios was 1 for 1 with 2 walks, Kyle Phillips was 1 for 2 with a walk, 2 runs and 2 RBI. Also Michael Barrett had a three run double. He is starting to swing the bat well, I hope it continues because I'd rather see him backing up Barajas than Chavez or someone else that can't hit his weight. And Brad Emaus was 1 for 3 with a double.

Notable ofers were Vernon Wells, 0 for 2 in his first action back after the hamstring troubles, he DHed and Rod Barajas 0 for 3 back from the WBC.

Tomorrow Doc starts for the Jays against the Astros, Scott Downs, BJ Ryan and Brian Tallet are also to pitch.