Spring Game Recap, Jays Lose To Reds

New, 4 comments

Jays 0 Reds 3

Ricky Romero, is suddenly back in the mix for one of the two open starting rotation jobs. Ricky didn't do too bad, going 5 innings, allowing 7 hits, 2 walks, 2 runs and struck out 5. After the crappy start for Clement yesterday and Janssen's shoulder soreness, even a fairly average start for Ricky helps his chance. Brian Burres pitched 2 scoreless innings and Jeremy Accardo pitched 1 inning, gave up a single and triple and a run.

Offensively we did almost nothing: Aaron Hill was 2 for 3 and stole a base. Scott Rolen was 1 for 2 with a triple. Wells had a single in 3 times up and Raul Chavez was 1 for 2.

Notable ofers: Joe Inglett was 0 for 4 and is hitting .211, getting harder to make a case for him. Alex Rios was 0 for 2 with a walk. Johnny Mac was 0 for 2 and is hitting a big .143. Randy Ruiz and Aaron Matthews were 0 for 3 but then they aren't going to make the team anyway.

Tomorrow David Purcey starts as the Jays play the Phillies. Marco Scutaro is back from the WBC and will play tomorrow and Travis Snider who missed some time with a sore knee will play, The game is on Gameday audio tomorrow so we'll get to listen in.

In other news, Curt Schilling and Corey Koskie have each annouced their retirement. I'm sorry about Koskie, he apparently dove for a ball in a spring game and felt nauseous after. Add in that his 6 year old son suffered a concussion in football game and he figured it was a sign that he ought to quit. It is really too bad, I was just talking to someone that knew him from Manitoba a couple of weeks ago, saying what a great guy he is. At 34 he's too young to retire but he did have a good career.