Separation Sunday: Game Thread: Jays at Oakland

New, 266 comments

So today will decide (hence the Hold Steady-inspired post title) whether the Jays return with a victorious (3-2) west coast road trip or a non-victorious, though still respectable 2-3 sojurn. A win today would be nice as the Jays have an off-day tomorrow and then have A-Rod and the Yankees this week.

Brett Cecil will make his second start for the Jays today and looks to follow up a very successful outing in his first effort. If you thought that perhaps Travis Snider, off a 2-4 with a double performance yesterday, and certainly Lyle Overbay, coming off a monster day where he doubled, hit a home run, and had a for-good-measure sacrifice fly would be starting again today, you were incorrect. It's Millar and Bautista against the lefty Braden. But perhaps Cito will go to the two off the bench if a right-hander comes in.

That's about it for now, though I invite you to check out the Smiths-inflected post earlier regarding the many Jays pitchers currently working out injury/effectiveness issues at various levels of the minors. Long story short, I'd like to see Accardo up soon to give the Jays another late-inning option, and his performance thusfar at Las Vegas indicates that he's up for the job.

And although gametime is drawing near, I'd be remiss if I didn't wish everyone a very Happy Mothers' Day! I would be about nowhere without Mrs. Hugo and Ma Hugo, two of the coolest ladies you will ever (or, more likely, won't ever) meet.

Lineup

Toronto Blue Jays @ Oakland Athletics

05/10/09 4:05 PM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays Oakland Athletics
Marco Scutaro - SS Orlando Cabrera - SS
Aaron Hill - 2B Kurt Suzuki - C
Alex Rios - RF Jason Giambi - DH
Vernon Wells - CF Matt Holliday - LF
Adam Lind - DH Jack Cust - RF
Scott Rolen - 3B Ryan Sweeney - CF
Kevin Millar - 1B Bobby Crosby - 1B
Rod Barajas - C Adam Kennedy - 2B
Jose Bautista - LF Jack Hannahan - 3B

W-L ERA WHIP K BB
2009 - Brett Cecil 0-0 1.50 1.00 6 0

W-L ERA WHIP K BB
2009 - Dallas Braden 3-3 2.50 1.39 24 13