a Doctor Who Is Born for a Purpose, Rudie Can't Fail: GameThread for Chicago White Sox at Toronto Blue Jays, 17 May 2009, 1:07 EDT

New, 367 comments

All right, so after dropping the series to the Yankees, it seems like all the Jays needed was to play the team with the fewest runs-scored in the American League. The Jays won the first game convincingly on Friday night and managed to eke out a squeaker yesterday behind a strong performance from Robert Ray.

This afternoon, Doc takes the mound looks to be the first major-leaguer with eight wins. Hopefully the Jays bats stay hot from yesterday's eighth inning and give him plenty of support against the struggling Gavin Floyd. Further complicating matters for the White Sox is that Carlos Quentin is still out. Here is a little nugget from White Sox Interim Manager Joey Cora:

"I don't know what we're going to do [Sunday]," Cora said. "We don't have too many options anyway. Quinty's out, so who knows what we're going to do tomorrow. And Halladay is pitching, so it's going to be tough, but we have to battle. You never know."

It's never good to go into a game saying, "We have to battle. You never know," but let's not get too overconfident here. On Friday night, the Mets started Livan Hernandez and beat the Giants starting Tim Lincecum, so anything is possible. I do have to say that I like our odds, though.

The title for today's thread comes from The Clash's excellent "Rudie Can't Fail" off London Calling. Last time Doc took on the White Sox it was "I'm Not Down" and he beat them, so let's keep it going. Correlation implies causation, right?

Lineup

Chicago White Sox @ Toronto Blue Jays

05/17/09 1:07 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox Toronto Blue Jays
Scott Podsednik - LF Marco Scutaro - SS
Chris Getz - 2B Aaron Hill - 2B
Jermaine Dye - RF Alex Rios - RF
Paul Konerko - 1B Vernon Wells - CF
Jim Thome - DH Adam Lind - DH
Alexei Ramirez - SS Scott Rolen - 3B
Josh Fields - 3B Lyle Overbay - 1B
Corky Miller - C Rod Barajas - C
Brent Lillibridge - CF Travis Snider - LF

W-L ERA WHIP K BB
2009 - Roy Halladay 7-1 2.95 1.03 49 7

W-L ERA WHIP K BB
2009 - Gavin Floyd 2-3 7.32 1.88 31 21