All Things Go / Drove to Chicago: Game 41 Preview and Thread, White Sox at Jays

New, 283 comments

The Jays chase the elusive four-game sweep this afternoon on Victoria Day. By the way, Happy Victoria Day!

Brett Cecil, Robert Ray, and Roy Halladay all did their jobs brilliantly, and now it's on Scott Richmond to see what he can do. Richmond is coming off a really rough outing against the Yankees in which he was unable to control his fastball and was pummeled out of the game in the second inning. That said, his overall numbers 31/16 K/BB ratio over 40 IP, 4.28 ERA, 4-2, 1.38 Whip still certainly look reasonable for a back-end starter. The problem, though, is that between Fabio Castro and Brad Mills lighting it up at AAA, Ricky Romero getting closer to being fully ready to return, Casey Janssen likely ready now, and David Purcey turning in a very good outing in his last AAA start, there is no shortage of options for the Jays' rotation at the moment. If Richmond is going to stave off Janssen, for example, who pitched extremely well yet again yesterday, he is going to need to start pitching well again.

Looks like Marco Scutaro is set to start the game after taking a throw off his chest yesterday. It sounded like Marco was okay, though in quite a bit of pain, so I'm mildly surprised to see him not take at least a day off. Adam Lind plays left today, which is very smart considering the interleague games are coming up and Cito would be crazy to not get Lind, whose bat has been the difference in the past two games, into the lineup. Travis Snider and Lyle Overbay sit against the lefty Clayton Richard, about whom you can read more here. Today's two starting pitchers would have likely been roomates if they were the same age and had they gone to my university, where, prior to freshman year, we each filled out 100-question surveys about our lifestyle and study habits only to be assigned to rooms alphabetically.

With a tough, Doc-less series coming up against Boston, it would be great to sweep this series. Let's go Jays!

Lineup

Chicago White Sox @ Toronto Blue Jays

05/18/09 1:07 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox Toronto Blue Jays
Scott Podsednik - CF Marco Scutaro - SS
Jayson Nix - LF Aaron Hill - 2B
Jermaine Dye - RF Alex Rios - RF
Jim Thome - DH Vernon Wells - CF
Paul Konerko - 1B Adam Lind - LF
AJ Pierzynski - C Scott Rolen - 3B
Alexei Ramirez - SS Kevin Millar - 1B
Chris Getz - 2B Raul Chavez - C
Josh Fields - 3B Jose Bautista - DH

W-L ERA WHIP K BB
2009 - Scott Richmond 4-2 4.28 1.38 31 16

W-L ERA WHIP K BB
2009 - Clayton Richard 0-0 5.40 1.85 12 8