Aaron Hill Wins It For Jays in Extras

New, 2 comments

Orioles 4 Jays 5 in 11 inings

So my youngest had a 'street hockey' tournament this morning and a soccer game this afternoon. I, not wanting to miss seeing Robert Ray pitch, set the DVR and remembered to add an extra 30 minutes. I enjoyed the game until my record time ran out just as the bottom of the 11th was about to start. Such is life I guess.

Anyway a fun game, in spite of the home run Ray gave up in the 1st inning, he looked good, and got better as the game went on. Seemed to change speeds well and was locating his pitches better towards the end of his stint. 5.2 innings, 4 hits, 4 walks, 2 strikeouts and 3 earned. Not great but not bad. With the offense we've been showing and the terrific bullpen we have, starts like that will get us by until Romaro and Janssen are ready to come back.

Cy Carlson, Brandon League, Snakeface and Jason Frasor pitched 5.1 innings and only gave up 1 unearned run. Downs gave up the run but since the runner only reached base because of an Aaron Hill error he can be forgiven. Hill has made 4 errors so far this season but he has shown his usual great range and he made up for the error by hitting a game tying homer in the bottom of the inning.

Offensively, once again we got a lot of hits, 11 on the day and 6 walks. Jose Bautista took 3 walks. Rios, Wells and Hill each had two hits, but Hill's were the two that counted, home run in the 10th to tie the game then a single in the 11th to bring home the winning run.

Other notable happenings:

- Cito has apparently converted to a religion that allows pinch hitting. He sent Kevin Millar in to pinch for Lyle Overbay. It didn't pay off but I'm hoping he will see fit to try it again, maybe the opposite way around sometime.

- Moonraker made a heck of a nice throw in the 3rd inning, a single to left and threw out Brian Roberts trying to go from 1st to 3rd. He also made a couple of nice catches, I think catches that other outfielders would have made without making them seem so acrobatic but still they were nice. Almost makes up for his 0 for 5.

- Rios had the 2 singles and drove in 2 runs but he still doesn't look right at the plate. I don't know what he's doing or not doing, but with batting coaches like Cito and Gene Tenace, you would think he could pull out of it soon.  I get the feeling he isn't very 'teachable'.

- Orioles closer George Sherrill is terrible. Jamie kept calling him an 'all-star'. He was only an all-star because the Orioles were so crappy but someone had to make the team.

Tomorrow the Jay's go for the sweep behind Scott Richmond, he's been great so you gotta like our chances. Other good news is the Yankees lost, but the Sox have a 5-1 lead over the Rays at the moment. We are still in first! 17-9, life is good.

Almost forgot, Jays of the Day are Hill (.698 WPA, though he should lose some of that for the error), League, Carlson, Frasor and Chavez. Honorable mention Ray, Bautista and Barajas. Suckage....well Downs has the number to be suckage jay (-.291) but that was because of Hill's error so can't give him it. But Snider (-.338), Millar (-.250) and Overbay (.098) earn Hinskes.

I don't care what happens tomorrow, fire, flood, act of Dog....I am watching tomorrow's game.