Tall Trees in Georgia / They Grow So High / They Shade Me So / And Sadly Walking Through the Thicket I Go: Game Thread, Jays at Braves

New, 423 comments

If you're feeling a little melancholy after yesterday's loss, you're not alone, as today's title, from a sad sad song by Eva Cassidy, attests. Newcastle United getting relegated to the Championship today certainly didn't help things. We took a bit of a closer look at the Jays' troubles over the last five games earlier today.

Anyway, back to the here-and-now and the Jays are still hanging on to first place despite looking dismal over a 5-game slide. I thought I saw some signs of life last night, but maybe that was just me. At the very least, if we keep walking 5 times a game we should have a shot at something, though a home run would sure be nice (Lind came close yesterday in the 9th).

Today, Scott Richmond pitches for the Jays against Jair Jurrjens, and the performance of the two is more similar than one might expect. Richmond boasts the better peripheral numbers, while Jurrjens boasts a sparkling 1.96 ERA despite rather pedestrian walk and strikeout numbers (20 and 32, respectively, over 55 innings). One wouldn't expect the young righty to be able to continue to strand 85% of runners or hold them to a .241 batting average on batted balls. Richmond, for his part, is coming off an excellent start against the White Sox where he pitched 7 scoreless innings with 7 Ks and one walk, but failed to get the win when Jim Thome hit a two-run homerun off Jesse Carlson in the 8th inning.

In the usual day-game-after-a-night-game lineup, Jose Bautista mans third base and bats 6th, while Raul Chavez catches and bats 8th. Other than that, if you expected Cito to rewrite the lineup to attempt to boost the sagging offense, you were wrong.

Lineup

Toronto Blue Jays @ Atlanta Braves

05/24/09 1:35 PM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays Atlanta Braves