Big Game for Rios, Jays Win

New, 26 comments

Red Sox 3 Jays 5

If there is one thing I've learned this season it's that winning is better than losing. Yeah I know, news to all of you isn't it. That's why I am here, to share wisdom. Or something.

Anyway 14 hits off Sox pitching, that's what you are supposed to do when facing Brad Penny. But then the losing Sox pitcher was reliever Ramon Ramirez, who has a  1.44 ERA, so we beat a good pitcher. Everyone in the lineup had a hit expect for Jose Bautista who was 0 for 4. Rios was 4 for 4 with 2 runs, 2 RBI and 2 doubles. Nice to see him hitting again. Adam Lind was 2 for 3 with a homer and 2 RBI. If he can get hot again life will be good. And Marco Scutaro was 3 for 5.

Brian Tallet had a rough first couple of innings giving up 3 runs and throwing a ton of pitches but he got it together and pitched 7 innings throwing 118 pitches, an amazing number of pitches for a guy that was a middle reliever a month or so ago. Brandon League pitched a perfect 8th and Snakeface got the save, both for the second day in a row. I think League is nailing down the setup role.

Not that I want to take too much joy in the troubles of others, but Youk was 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts, Ellsbury 0 for 4 and Ortiz 0 for 4 with 2 strikeouts. Actually, I'm not sure you could take too much joy in them doing poorly. Seems to me that you can't enjoy that enough.

Jays of the Day are Rios (.360 WPA) and Lind (.257). Tallet, League and Downs get honorable mention. And likely Wells deserves an honorable mention for the double that drove in Rios with the insurance run. Jose Bautista gets the Suckage award for a (-.108 WPA). But since we won all is forgiven.

Tomorrow the Jays go for the sweep against Jon Lester. Ricky Romero gets the start for us in another 1:00 Eastern start. It is amazing that after a 9 game losing streak we are now tied in the standing with the Red Sox at present 1 game back of the Godless Yankees who play the Indians tonight. Go Indians. I may have never said that before, but if you could pull off a big win, I'd be a fan, for at least a few hours.