Best and Worst Seasons by Jay Third Basemen According to WAR

New, 15 comments

The next installment of our look at best seasons by position by Wins Above Replacement, an idea stolen from Amazin' Avenue, the Met's SB Nation Blog. The numbers are taken from Sean Smith's WAR Database.

Here are the best seasons by Jay third basemen, by WAR values:

Rank

Year

Player

WAR

1

1988

Kelly Gruber

4.8

2

2006

Troy Glaus

4.7

3

1989

Kelly Gruber

4.5

4

1990

Kelly Gruber

4.2

5

2002

Eric Hinske

4.1

6

2008

Scott Rolen

3.7

7

1985

Rance Mulliniks

3.3

8

1999

Tony Fernandez

2.9

9

2007

Troy Glaus

2.8

10

1979

Roy Howell

2.6

And the bottom 10:

Rank

Year

Player

WAR

31

1982

Rance Mulliniks

0.4

32

1998

Ed Sprague

0.2

33

2001

Tony Bautista

0.1

34

1986

Garth Iorg

0.1

35

1992

Kelly Gruber

-0.3

36

2004

Eric Hinske

-0.6

37

1997

Ed Sprague

-0.8

38

1993

Ed Sprague

-0.8

39

1981

Danny Ainge

-0.8

40

1984

Garth Iorg

-1.4

Some quick thoughts:

  • When Kelly Gruber was good, he was really good
  • After this season we'll have a new number 1
  • Most of Rance Mulliniks' seasons were in the 10-20 range
  • Tony Bautista's best season was 1999 when he played short
  • Most of the guys that had bad seasons also had good seasons, except Danny Ainge, well he did have some good seasons, but most of them were with the Boston Celtics
  • Tony Fernandez was great offensively in 1999 but terrible defensively
  • Don't ask me why the font is bigger in the first ten table, I had a terrible time getting this to post.