Brian Tallet was Great, Bullpen Less So

New, 44 comments

Reds 5 Blue Jays7

That turned out to be a lot closer than it should have been. Brian Tallet, just after it was discussed around here that we really weren't confident in him as a starter, has a terrific start: 6 shut out innings, 3 hits, 1 walk and 7 strikeouts. On short rest yet. He was just amazing, he struck out the side in the first inning.

Then, unfortunately Shawn Camp came in. A single and two walks later, Jesse Carlson came in to give up a 2 run double and 2 sac flies to make it a four run inning. Brandon League pitched the 8th and gave up a run on a walk, a steal and a couple of ground outs. Jason Frasor pitched a scoreless 9th for his second save of the season.

Offensively, we got 12 hits. Everyone had a hit except our new left fielder, Russ Adams. He had an 0 for 4 in his first start for the Jays this year. Scott Rolen, Rod Barajas and Marco Scutaro each had homers. That was Scutaro's first homer since April 30th.

Jays of the Day are Tallet (.272 WPA), Barajas (.107) and Rolen (.106). Honorable mention to Frasor and Adam Lind. Suckage Jays? Well no one has the numbers for it, but we's going to give one to Shawn Camp for loading the bases without getting an out.

Tomorrow night Scott Richmond (5-4, 3.79) goes against the Reds and Bronson Arroyo (8-5, 5.16). The Jays announced that Roy Halladay will start on Monday against the Tampa Rays. I'm not sure who will be starting for the Jays on Sunday, I guess Brad Mills will get another start.

If you want to read more about Joey Votto's troubles, Mike Wilner talks a little about it on his blog

The Good News? With our win and the Yankees loss we are now tied with them for the lead in the Wild Card race. So for all the ups and downs of the season so far, things are pretty good.