I've Been Hearing You Say Some Things That You Don't Mean: 6/27 Game Preview and Thread, Phillies at Jays

New, 281 comments

The Jays look to continue their excellence when playing the Philadelphia Phillies this afternoon after a big win yesterday behind some nice hitting and great pitching by Ricky Romero.

Jordan Bastian is now reporting that Rod Barajas was not placed on the DL yesterday (meaning, I guess, that Kyle Phillips hasn't been called up). Rod apparently felt better today and is now day-to-day. So that's good news, I guess. I hope the Jays don't do anything that could reaggravate the injury - you know how hammies are.

Unfortunately, it's a good news-bad (though not unexpected) news from Bastian today:

Cito, asked if Downs will be ready when eligible to come off DL: "I hope he is but I really dont know. I have no confidence in that at all."The Jays have another lefty going today in Brad Mills. Mills really struggled in his first ever mlb start so let's hope that he can settle down and throw strikes this time. The Phillies aren't generally a forgiving offense (though as a lefty Mills certainly has the advantage. The Phills counter with a lefty of their own in J.A. Happ. The Jays put out possibly their worst possible offensive lineup today, featuring Kevin Millar batting cleanup and hitting 4th, Jose Bautista in leftfield, Raul Chavez behind the plate, and Sir John MacDonald at the hot corner.

Today's title is in honour of Rod and comes from the great Ted Leo and the Pharmacists song "La Costa Brava." I'm a huge Ted Leo fan. The little one and I had an enjoyable morning - we went for a nice long hike before it got too hot (wow, is she ever getting heavy) and now I'm sitting back and ready for some baseball. Let's go Jays!

Lineup

Philadelphia Phillies @ Toronto Blue Jays

06/27/09 1:07 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies Toronto Blue Jays