One We Should Have Won

New, 18 comments

Phillies 5 Blue Jays 4

We should have won this one. We scored 4 runs in the first 3 innings then just stopped scoring. Aaron Hill homered his first two times up. Jose Bautista hit a two run shot in the 2nd and that was it for scoring. I hate losing to Jamie Moyer, but then I guess we aren't alone in losing to him, Moyer just past Bob Gibson in career wins. Can you imagine, Jamie Moyer has more career wins than Bob Gibson.

We only had 7 hits on the day, two each for Hill, Scott Rolen, Raul Chavez and the homer for Bautista. Everyone else had 0 fors, though Lyle Overbay took 2 walks. And when we had a shot a tying the game in the bottom John McDonald was picked off 2nd base. A cardinal sin when you are the tying run and you were already in scoring position.

Brian Tallet pitched 5 really good innings and 1 really bad one. He gave up 4 runs in the 4th. That wasn't good but we still should have won it. Vernon Wells helped keep it a 1 run game by making as nice a catch as you are every going to see to end the 6th inning. It might be just me, but it seems like Vernon's range has improved lately. Brandon League, Jeremy Accardo and Jason Frasor each pitched a scoreless inning.

Anyway Jays of the Day are Bautista (.116 WPA) and Rolen (.101). Amazingly enough, even with 2 homers, Hill ended up with a negative WPS (-.072), but I'd still give him a honorable mention along with Chavez.Suckage Jays are Wells (-.217), Adams (-.199 in one pinch hit at bat), Scoot (-.148), Rios (-.148) and Tallet (-.193). And I guess we ought to add John McDonald to the suckage list for getting picked off 2nd in the bottom of the 9th.

Tomorrow Roy Halladay (yay) goes for the Jays against the Rays and Jeff Niemann (6-4, 4.23). It's the first time we play the Rays this year.

Also tomorrow Rod Barajas is going to test his hamstring to see if he should or shouldn't go on the DL.