Will I see you in September: Our batters in September

New, comments

We'll been doing this for each month of the season, so might as well look at how the guys did in September and the first couple of days of October. As a team, for the month, we hit .239/.304/.452. We scored 4.53 runs per game. We hit 56 home runs (seemed like more)the most we had any month. We won 16 and lost 14.

Our batters in September:

John Buck: .287/.330/.517 with 6 HR and 12 RBI in 87 at bats. Almost as good as his May, his best month of the year. After an August where he didn't have a home run, had the best total for any month. It is funny how flipping the page of a calendar can change things, after now homers in August, he hit one August first.  He played a lot, was in 25 of the 30 September games. After not getting much for offers last year, he's going to make a lot of money next year and for a few years beyond.

Lyle Overbay: .227/.309/.454 with 4 HR and 11 RBI in 97 at bats. If you graphed his batting average by month, you'd have almost a perfect bell curve. Lousy at the start, very good in the middle, poor again at the end. Only two months of the season did he hit better than .250. Didn't really put on the free agent rush at the end of the season. Played a lot, 27 of the 30 games. I, of course, would have liked to see Lind play first a bit more.

Aaron Hill: .165/.222/.352 with 5 HR and 15 RBI in 91 at bats. For OPS, it was his worst month of the season and with the season he had, that's really saying something. Played in 26 of 30 games. I really feel bad for the guy, I am sure he is happy to see the end of this season. It will be good for him to get a chance to clear his head.

Yunel Escobar: .258/.333/.303 with 1 HR and 4 RBI in 89 at bats. Not a great month but with his glove, we can live with it. It was his worst hitting month with the Jays. Played 24 of 30 games.

Edwin Encarnacion: .232/.279/.661 with 8 HR and 15 RBI in 56 at bats. Really saved his month with that series against the Twins. I think if you wanted the definition of a streak hitter, you could do a lot worse than EE. Most months he walked more than he did this month. Cito said that EE swings harder than Bautista. I'm not sure if that is true but I doubt there are two guys on any other team that swing as hard as those two. It is too bad his season started with the hamstring troubles, it would be interesting to have seen how he would have done with a full spring of Cito and Dwayne Murphy working with him. Not to mention Butterfield. He started 16 of the 30 games.

Travis Snider: .289/.303/.515 with 6 HR and 9 RBI in 97 at bats. He only walked twice which is a much lower rate that his normal, which seems funny considering he lead off most of the month, you'd think he'd want to walk more. He started 23 of 30 games, I'm glad Cito got him in there more. A nice month for him, I'm hoping next year he doesn't have to prove himself to whoever the manager might be. Play him for 150 games and see what happens.

Vernon Wells: .298/.387/.587 with 8 HR and 19 RBI. He also took 14 walks in the month. Voted Player of the Month, not an easy honour to get with Jose Bautista on the team. A great start and finish to the season, not so great in the middle.

Jose Bautista: .224/.346/.589 with 11 HR and 21 RBI in 107 at bats. Maybe he got a little too conscience of hitting homers as the season closed. Not a bad month by any means, just not as good as some of his this season. He started everyone of the 30 games. Started 18 games in RF, 10 at 3B, 1 at 1B and 1 as DH.

Adam Lind: .264/.287/.495 with 4 HR and 10 RBI in 91 at bats. Just 3 walks for the month. I would have liked it better if he would have walked at the same rate he did last year. Not a terrible month, OPS+ of 117. Started 24 of 30 games, 2 of them at first base.

Jose Molina: .200/.231/.440 with 2 HR and 3 RBI in 25 at bats. Started 7 games.

John McDonald: .200/.222/.300 with 1 HR and 9 RBI in 40 at bats. He started 11 games and appeared in a total of 17 games, the most he played in any month this year. The 9 RBI in 40 at bats is pretty impressive.

Dewayne Wise: .214/.283/.238 with 1 RBI in 42 at bats. Had 10 starts.

Mike McCoy: .200/.310/.240 with 1 RBI in 25 at bats. Had 7 starts.