Happy St. Patrick Day, the day for the patron saint of Ireland. The man who drove the snakes out of Ireland, one of those misunderstood things, I think it means he chased Druids out of Ireland. It does make for an interesting mental image, a guy chasing snakes into the ocean. I don't know how you go about chasing a snake. Anyway to celebrate people pour green dye into beer, everywhere except Ireland. A true Irishman would never let you dilute his Guinness with anything.
Back in the 19th century, when baseball started there were many Irish born baseball players, which makes sense since the game grew out of the British game of rounders. Royals Review has a post up about Irish baseball players if you want to read more about them.
- Yesterday, when were arguing about who the 4th outfielder should be, I figured there would be some better choices coming available as the season grew nearer. This morning the Nationals released Elijah Dukes. He would be a better ball player than any of the possible 4th outfielders we have but he comes complete with more baggage than any 3 other players you could name, including a murderer for a father and his own assault (one) and battery (three) arrests.
- Richard Griffin, in the Star, thinks the Jays should follow the Tigers plan. As much as I don't want to lose 119 games, anything that gets us to the World Series is a good thing, but the Tigers play in a much easier division than the Jays.
- Dave Perkins also in the Star thinks signing Adeinis Hechavarria is a good sign, whether he makes the majors or not. It show that Rogers is willing to spend a few bucks.
- And at his blog on MLB.com Jordan Bastian talks to Jay's pitching coach Bruce Walton about Shawn Marcum, David Purcey and Brett Cecil. Walton talks about how he likes the pitchers to start spring working on their two best pitches and building from there.
- Jays play the Tigers Orioles today at 1:00 eastern, the game is on MLB audio, with the Tiger Orioles announcers. Tallet, Camp, Frasor, Downs and Gregg are to pitch. Looks like mostly the b-side batters made the bus trip: Hoffpauir 3B Gonzalez SS Reed CF Ruiz DH Dopirak 1B Snider LF Emaus 2B Lubanski RF Chavez C.
Enjoy your St. Patrick's Day. Don't drink too much green beer.
Update (Hugo): Let's use this as the game thread for today's game - after the game, we'll put the 10 reasons to watch this season back on top!