Orioles 3 Jays 13
We took two straight from the Orioles, I know it means little in spring but he's nice. Good pitching and lots of power today. Travis Snider, the first was a 'monster shot' to center field. With a homer in his last at bat yesterday he hit homers in 3 at bats in a row.
One of the things it shows is that we fans have to remember that spring training is just that, don't get too excited if a guy has a week's worth of bad games. Or for that matter a few good games.
- Ricky Romero pitch the first 5 innings. He was great, did give up a homer in the third inning but only 5 hits, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts and 2 earned runs. Even better he got 10 ground outs and no fly outs. You have to like a guy that gets that many ground outs. Especially with our infield defense. If he can pitch like this he'll have a great season. His ERA this spring 1.93.
- Dana Eveland pitched the final 4 innings. He wasn't quite as sharp but just gave up 5 hits, 2 walks, 1 homer, 1 earned and struck out 3. His ERA is 0.75.
- Jose Bautista was 0 for 4, his hot start seems to have slowed some but he is still at .524 on the spring.
- Aaron Hill: 2 for 3 with his first homer of the spring and yet another walk. 2 runs, 2 RBI. This taking walks thing looks good on him. He's at .500 for the spring.
- Adam Lind: 0 for 4 and a K. .250.
- Vernon Wells: 1 for 4 with an RBI and a K. .400.
- Lyle Overbay: 1 for 2, 2 walks, 2 runs. .429.
- John Buck: 2 for 3, 2 homers. 3 runs, 3 RBI. Nice to see his power. He is at .375 for the spring.
- Jeremy Reed: 1 for 4, run and RBI. .367.
- Chris Lubanski: 1 for 1, a homer, 2 RBI. After a triple yesterday, his homer today has just about got me on his bandwagon again. Won't make the team out of spring but he'll be interesting to watch in Vegas. .263.
- Travis Snider: 2 for 3, both homers, 2 runs, 4 RBI, 1 K. Apparently the first homer was crushed to center field. .290 for the spring. I'm hoping we can stop talking about him not making the team now.
- Joey Gathright: 1 for 2. Infield single. .208.
- John McDonald: 2 for 2 and a walk after coming back from seeing his dad. That would be so tough. He is .385 for the spring.
So we are 8 and 5 now, I know it doesn't mean much but winning is always better than losing.
The Jays made a couple of moves today. They released Casey Fien, who they just picked up a week or so ago. I don't think he got into any games. I don't know why he was released, he was sent to Vegas. Something must have happened.
The Jays also sent Brian Dopirak and Jarret Hoffpauir to Vegas and Kyle Phillips to the minor league camp. Dopirak down pretty much means Ruiz makes the team. We are down to 44 in camp with 17 days to opening day.