clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Jays Sweep Rangers Behind a Good Start by Brandon Morrow.

Rangers 2 Blue Jays 5

Our third sweep of the season. My memory isn't the greatest and I don't want to take the time to look it up, but I don't think we had 3 sweeps all of last year.

Anyway a really nice start by Brandon Morrow. What's really nice to see is that after he walked the house last year, he only walked 1 this start. He did give up 8 hits in the 6 innings but struck out 8 as well. All the hits off him were singles other than a double to Ian Kinsler.  Brandon was helped out in the first by John Buck catching  Michael Young stealing for a strikeout/throw out double play. He came out of the game at 95 pitches, 62 strikes. Since he has been a relieve most of the past few years, I'm happy with Cito taking him out with under 100 pitches thrown. He did give up his walk to lead off the 7th, then an infield single and a fly ball single.

Jason Frasor came in with the bases loaded and got Vlady to hit into a double play and another ground out to get out of the inning giving up just the one run. Gotta love that. I know Frasor started the season poorly but he's looked great of late. Scott Downs pitched a perfect 8th with two strikeouts, helped out by a nice catch in left by Fred Lewis. Kevin Gregg gave up a single to start the 9th but got a strikeout and a double play to earn his 11th save.

Offensively a bases loaded double by John Buck was all the scoring we needed, it was almost a grand slam. Jose Bautista hit a solo homer, giving him 3 on the weekend. Alex Gonzalez got the scoring started, driving home Aaron Hill who walked and stole second. Hill has looked so tender running, I'm surprised he tried to steal but he ran well coming home on the single. Hope that's a good sign.

Jays of the Day are Buck (.240 WPA) and Frasor (.158). No Doctastic award, but it was nice to see Morrow have a godo start. If nothing else it fives us a break from the folks telling us how awful he is. Maybe we could give Morrow the season to see how things go, before we run him out of town on a rail. No Suckage Jay, Adam Lind had the worst number (-.071) for an 0 for 4 with 2 strrikeouts.

We didn't get a lot of offense, just 3 singles and 5 walks, but it was enough.

Sweeps are nice. We scored 27 runs in this weekend series, 17 of them with 2 outs. We are now 23-16 and on a 4 game win streak. The unfortunate part is that, being in the AL East, that's only good enough for 3rd, 3.5 games back from the Rays

Bring on the Twins

Forgot to mention, Alan Ashby did the play-by-play on the TV broadcast and to no one's surprise, that has heard him on the radio, he was very good. I really enjoy listening to him when I get a chance.