clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Maybe it should have been the rule of wrist? - Game 26 A's @ Jays

Many people are saying that Wells hot start is a factor of his wrist finally being healed from the surgeries and being able to generate bat speed again while getting his quick wrists through the zone. Possible I suppose. But isn't it just as likely that he has the one good year one bad year pattern and as such forgets how to hit every second year? No? Pffft Who asked you anyways.

Today we have last game of the 4 game series against the A's. Afterwards we head out on our first real road trip of the season. After this we will head out for 3 different series traveling to Cleveland, Chicago and Boston for 10 games total before coming home to face Texas on the 14th. So since they are going to be away for awhile let's make it a good one.

On the mound for the Jays we have Marcum who is still sans victory this year. Really you have got to feel for Marcum and Romero who have both pitched great but don't have the win-loss record to show for it. Could there be any better proof of the folly of using Wins as a meaningful measure of a pitchers success? Opposing Marcum will be Ben Sheets. Sheets who has spent his entire career with the Brewers before this year missed all of 2009 with injury and then signed a 1 year deal for 10 million with the A's this past offseason. So far this year he hasn't been that great, but that can be expected with the amount of time away from the game he had. Not to mention he doesn't exactly get a lot of run support from the A's powerhouse offense. Regardless when he is on he can be good.

2010 - Shaun Marcum 0-1 5 5 0 0 0 0 34.0 27 13 13 3 7 28 3.44 1.00

2010 - Ben Sheets 1-2 5 5 0 0 0 0 27.0 32 16 15 3 14 14 5.00 1.70

As for the lineup today. It looks like Snider is sitting again, Bautista moved to RF and John MacDonald taking his spot at 3rd. Overbay back in for Ruiz at first. For an "everyday" Snider sits an awful lot. (EDIT: As it turns out he is a late scratch with a possible flu or something)

I am heading into Toronto today, sadly not to see the game, So I am not going to be around for most of the thread hope its a fun one.

Tune in after the jump for the Lineups

Current Series

Blue Jays lead the series 2-1

Thu 04/29 WP: Ricky Romero (2 - 1)
SV: Kevin Gregg
LP: Justin Duchscherer (2 - 1)
6 - 3 win
Fri 04/30 WP: Brandon Morrow (2 - 2)
LP: Trevor Cahill (0 - 1)
10 - 2 win
Sat 05/01 WP: Gio Gonzalez (3 - 1)
SV: Andrew Bailey
LP: Dana Eveland (2 - 1)
3 - 4 loss

Oakland Athletics
@ Toronto Blue Jays

Sunday, May 2, 2010, 1:07 PM EDT
Rogers Centre

Ben Sheets vs Shaun Marcum

Mostly cloudy,rain. Winds blowing out to left field at 5-10 m.p.h. Game time temperature around 70.

Complete Coverage >

Lineup

Oakland Athletics @ Toronto Blue Jays

05/02/10 1:07 PM EDT

Oakland Athletics Toronto Blue Jays
Cliff Pennington - SS Fred Lewis - LF
Daric Barton - 1B Aaron Hill - 2B
Ryan Sweeney - RF Adam Lind - DH
Kevin Kouzmanoff - 3B Vernon Wells - CF
Eric Chavez - DH Lyle Overbay - 1B
Adam Rosales - 2B Alex Gonzalez - SS
Eric Patterson - LF Jose Bautista - RF
Josh Donaldson - C John Buck - C
Rajai Davis - CF John McDonald - 3B

Keep it Civil and Go Jays Go

Today's title from "The Boondock Saints"