Sometimes you lose the fun games.

New, 38 comments

Blue Jays 5 Angels 6

I've never been a fan of the intentional walk. I am very much not a fan of intentionally walking two guys to load the bases. There are several reasons why. I hate taking the pitchers attention away from the plate. I don't like forcing your pitcher to groove pitches. And I don't like making it a walk that could cost you the game.

But it almost worked. After falling behind 2-0 to Howard Kendrick, Scott Downs got a ground ball that Alex Gonzalez made a great play on and a great throw to the plate. John Buck threw to first and just missed getting the batter for the double play. Unfortunately Bobby Abreu was up next and got to a 2-2 count. Downs had to throw a strike and Abreu singled. Game over.

It was a fun game though, we were down by two coming into the 7th and we got a run that inning and another in the 9th to tie it up. It seems like every day a different player comes up big at the right moment, tonight John Buck hit a double to drive in the tying run in the 9th. He had two hits tonight.

We only got 6 hits and four walks. Jose Bautista had 1 hit, but then struck out in the 9th when we really could have used a him. He's been so amazing you almost expect a hit every time the team needs one. Jeremy Reed, filling in for Fred Lewis, was 1 for 5 but drove in two runs. Vernon Wells was 1 for 4 with a double. And Edwin Encarnacion was 1 for 3, with a double and a walk, driving in 2.

Encarnacion made a bad error that helped the Angels get a couple of runs. Whoops looking at the box score, that wasn't scored an error. I don't know how it wasn't. Encarnacion made a nice play after that, throwing a runner out at the plate. John Buck threw out a baserunner. And Jose Bautista got a beauty of an assist from right field.

Brandon Morrow wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great. He was hurt by Edwin's misplay. He pitched 5 have up 3 hits, 4 walks and struck out 6. He left with the game tied. He did give us the chance to win. Rommie Lewis came in to start the 6th and gave up a single and a Hideki Matsui massive home fun. Shawn Camp and Jason Frasor each pitched a good inning. Scott Downs pitched a good inning as well, but gave up a double to lead off the 9th and, well, you know the rest.

Jays of the Day? Buck (.288 WPA) and Gonzalez (.100). Encarnacion also had the number (.109) but that non error wasn't good, so I'm taking it away from him. Suckage Jays are Downs (-.309, but hurt by the two intentional walks), Rommie Lewis (-.254) and Aaron Hill (-.124). Hill did have some bad luck, he hit one good down the left field line that landed a foot foul, it would have been a double. He also he a hard ground ball at the third baseman.

Tomorrow is an off day then we host the Orioles for three games.