Romero tosses complete game as Jays sweep the O's.

New, 48 comments

Well when your starter goes out and throws 9 innings while only giving up 6 hits and 1 run you are usually going to win those games and today was no exception. It was decided after the 1st inning and even though the Jays tacked on some add on runs later in the game in typical fashion (Via the long ball) the Orioles were not able to get anything else going after the first.

Things started out a little rocky for Romero who gave up a single and then proceeded to balk to allow Patterson advance to 2nd. Tremblay then had Lugo sac bunt him over to third. I laughed about it at the time. I understand the role the sac bunt plays especially in close games late going but I usually still don't like it. I especially don't like it in the first but someone in the game thread pointed out that with the rate the O's were scoring they needed to do anything they could to just push one across. Well the sac bunt ended up being useless as Markakis singled him home on a ball that Patterson (with his speed) would have scored anyways. After that, it was all Romero. He only scattered four more hits the rest of the way around 2 walks while striking out 7, he threw 107 pitches. The first couple innings it looked like Romero was fighting the ball then in the 4th something flipped and he was nailing it. Probably helps that you are up against the O's offense but still.

For the offense after we gave up the run to kick off the game we came back right away in the bottom of the 1st. Fred Lewis lead off the game with a double down the left field line on the first pitch he saw, exact same as yesterday and he now has 16 doubles on his shortened season. To put that in context, Vernon Wells hit his 18th double in the first as well (Driving home Lewis) and leads the AL. Lewis is tied for 3rd with Alex Gonzalez and two others all while playing in 13 less games. He has been great. For the rest of the offense Gonzalez had 3 hits, Overbay had two and Lind and Bautista each had one. Overbay went yard in the 5th with another line drive shot that was never in doubt. And Bautista and Gonzalez went back to back in the 8th to add a couple more insurance runs. There was a lot of hard hit balls and even though Lewis and Wells only had the one hit apiece they both hit the ball hard. Wells hit a deep fly that Jones made a great running catch at the wall in Left Center and a screaming line drive down the 3rd base line that Tejada dove and caught saving another Run and robbing wells of another RBI. With Lewis he had two sinking line drives to CF that Jones was able to make the play on.

With the 3 home runs today that gives us 53 on the month, the record is 58 set by the 99 Mariners... I don't think we will hit it but it has been an amazing month nonetheless.

In the field there was only a couple of notable plays. Romero had the ball on the ground all day and only two outs came in the outfield. 1st there was a quick play that EE made to his left in front of Gonzalez and fired an absolute laser to first to get the runner. Amazing what happens when he has no time to think. And later in the game Gonzalez made a throwing error on a play that looked like he though EE was going to cut him off again and when the ball actually got through he wasn't ready to throw. He should have ate it as it sailed and bounced it wide into the stands. Didn't matter though as Romero got Wieters to meekly ground out to end the frame.

Jays of the Day are: Romero of course (.338 WPA), Overbay (.166) and Gonzalez (.103).

No suckage Jays.

Next up is the Gauntlet, we have 3 against the visiting Rays, then the Yanks roll into town for three before we hit the road down to Tampa to take on the Rays again for another 3. So we got some good momentum going and we are going to need it when we take on Garza to start the series.