Jays Get 5th Straight Win

New, 33 comments
CHICAGO - MAY 06: Alex Gonzalez #11 of the Toronto Blue Jays tries to catch a wind-blown pop fly in the 9th inning. To spoil the surprise, he doesn't catch it. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
CHICAGO - MAY 06: Alex Gonzalez #11 of the Toronto Blue Jays tries to catch a wind-blown pop fly in the 9th inning. To spoil the surprise, he doesn't catch it. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Blue Jays 2 White Sox 0

Winning is fun.

A terrific start for Dana Eveland, 7 innings, just 2 hits, 4 walks and 3 strikeouts. That makes Dana 3-1, with a 3.82 ERA on the season. He's not a great pitcher but for a number 5 starter, he does the job. Scott Downs pitched a perfect 8th and Kevin Gregg got 8th save despite a popup that Alex Gonzalez failed to catch and was ruled a double.

Offensively we did enough. 9 hits and 2 walks should add up to more than 2 runs, but two was enough. Fred Lewis was 2 for 4, driving in both runs. He was also thrown out trying to steal third in the first inning, which helped mess up a encouraging looking start to the first inning. Vernon Wells went 2 for 4 and Snider was 2 for 2 with a walk, double and a run. Travis Snider got his batting average up over .200 (.213) for the first time since our fourth game of the season. That leaves just only Lyle under .200, among our everyday players. Our 0 fors today were Aaron Hill, Adam Lind (who is allowed after yesterday's game winning homer) and Alex Gonzalez.

Eveland was helped out by some nice defense, Fred Lewis made a nice diving catch off a Alex Rios line drive in the first and Vernon Wells made a great catch at the wall in the second. We also got a double play and John Buck picked a runner off first. Alex Gonzalez was given an error on a tough throw from the hole that Lyle Overbay should have made the catch on.

Jays of the Day are Eveland (.446 WPA) and Snider (.145). Gregg (.096) and Downs (.092) were on the borderline, I'll give them each one. Lewis didn't get the number(.075) but deserves an honorable mention. Suckage Jays are Lind (-.118) and Gonzalez (-.112).

Tomorrow Shaun Marcum goes up against Mark Buehrle in what promises to be another pitchers duel.