clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Innings Eaters

The excuse for having Brian Tallet in the rotation was that he could 'eat innings', that with a bunch of young starters, we would need someone that could get us deep into games. I wasn't a big fan of that idea, mostly because, as a former reliever, Tallet wasn't someone that got us deep into games all that consistently last year. Going deep into games is a good thing, saves wear and tear on the bullpen.

Anyway, Tallet goes down with an injury and we call up Cecil.

Cecil, in his first three starts, going 6.2, 6 and 8 innings. Averaging 6.9 innings a start. That's not so bad. And with a 2.61 ERA, he's done a pretty good job in those innings.

Our other starters:

Ricky Romero has gone 7, 8 ,8 ,7, 6, and 6 innings in his starts, averaging 7 innings a start. Pretty good for any starter not named Halladay. The 3.00 ERA doesn't hurt either.

Shaun Marcum has given us 7, 6, 7, 7, 7, and 6.1 innings in his starts for a 6.7 innings per start average. good for a guy that coming off missing a complete season after surgery. 3.12 ERA.

Brandon Morrow has been mostly a reliever in his major league career and with the number of strikeouts and walks he gives up, I wouldn't expect him to go long, especially early in the season. He has given us 5,4,7,6,6, and 5.1 innings in his starts for an average of 5.6 per start. I don't think anyone expected him to finish his starts at least early in the season.

Even 5th starter, Dana Eveland has given us 7.1, 6, 5.1, 3, 6.2 and 7 innings for an average of 5.9 innings a start. Other than the one bad start he's given us a decent number of innings. And the 3.82 ERA is ok too.

So when Brian Tallet is ready for to come back, they will have to find a different excuse for putting him into the starting rotation.