Always look on the bright side of life Gm 65 Jays @ Padres

New, 699 comments

The last couple games have been pretty brutal on Jays Fans. We haven't played well and at least for the last couple of seasons June seems to be the time where we hit the wall so to speak. Throw in the fact that we never seem to perform well in inter-league and you have yourself a great recipe for bluebird depression right there. Well I am here to remind you that if Life seems jolly rotten, theres something you forgotten and thats to laugh and smile and dance and sing...

Life's not all bad Jays fans, we still lead the league in Home Runs, We seem to have a great starting pitching staff the 5th spot not withstanding, but if the biggest problem a team has is it's 5th starter things are going well. We are 3rd in the league in SLG%, we have a lot more promising kids in the prospect pipeline then we have in years past and last by certainly not least, we are 16.5 games up on the O's, a team that the "experts" said would finish ahead of us. Just thinking of that always makes me smile. Yeah Yeah 4th place, and 6.5 back of the division and wildcard that's nice but in a what is supposed to be a rebuilding/restocking year it is promising to see such great baseball.

This evening we cruise in Petco Park to take on the 1st place Padres and their dominant pitching staff. First up is Marcum vs Garland. Marcum is coming off a poor start that saw the Rays hit him around and hand him his 3rd loss of the season. Garland is pitching on short rest as he last pitched in the second game of a double header on June 10th. In that game he was the hard luck loser going 6 innings and giving up three runs but losing out to the Mets as Jonathon Niese threw a complete game 1 hitter against the Padres.

2010 - Shaun Marcum 5-3 13 13 0 0 0 0 85.1 78 33 32 6 18 65 3.38 1.13

2010 - Jon Garland 6-4 14 13 0 0 0 0 80.0 74 32 25 6 32 48 2.81 1.33

Lineup changes abound today and by abound I mean 2, but for Cito that's a lot. Both Lewis and Lind get the day off. As such Dewayne Wise will get his first start as a Blue Jay. He will play left and lead off the order. Jose Bautista swings around to RF and bats 3rd. Everybody else at the bottom of the lineup moves up one spot with Gonzalez, Overbay, Buck, Encarnacion and Marcum rounding out the rest of the order behind Wells.

Don't know how many people saw it on twitter yesterday. But after the game when asked for reasons why he struggled so much in his first game back Litsch had this to say:

"When you throw a ball down the middle and they hit it that's kind of self-explanatory. "

Gotta love the straight shooting there. At least he didn't give some crazy excuse of working through stuff and he thought he made good progress. Always prefer honest answers then the pre-packaged stuff that most athletes spit out.

Tune in after the jump for Lineups and Series Info

Current Series

3 game series vs Padres @ Petco Park

Toronto Blue Jays
@ San Diego Padres

Monday, Jun 14, 2010, 10:05 PM EDT
Petco Park

Shaun Marcum vs Jon Garland

Clear. Winds blowing in from left field at 10-15 m.p.h. Game time temperature around 70.

Complete Coverage >

Tue 06/15 10:05 PM EDT
Wed 06/16 6:35 PM EDT

Lineup

Toronto Blue Jays @ San Diego Padres

06/14/10 10:05 PM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays San Diego Padres
Dewayne Wise - LF David Eckstein - 2B
Aaron Hill - 2B Chase Headley - 3B
Jose Bautista - RF Adrian Gonzalez - 1B
Vernon Wells - CF Scott Hairston - LF
Alex Gonzalez - SS Yorvit Torrealba - C
Lyle Overbay - 1B Will Venable - RF
John Buck - C Jerry Hairston Jr. - SS
Edwin Encarnacion - 3B Tony Gwynn Jr. - CF
Shaun Marcum - P Jon Garland - P

Keep it Civil and Go Jays Go

Today's title is from Life of Brian. And the Video clip is from the new DVD/BluRay of "Not the Messiah, He's a very naughty boy" which is a recorded humorous oratorio from Royal Albert Hall in London. It is hilarious to see professional Opera singers singing Python songs and sketches.