Just keep swimming, just keep swimming - Gm 66 - Jays @ Padres

New, 195 comments

I want to take a moment to dedicate today's game thread to my man Eyebleaf. He has taken a few lumps lately with all of the shots people have been taking at the Jays and Tomas Kaberle, so I just wanted to take a moment to give him a break and thank him. He was the reason I found my way into the blogging universe. It was through links on his site that I found SBNation and eventually here to BBB. It was his enthusiasm for Jays and Leafs that drove me to participate. So thanks man. Don't ever let the haters get to you.

Onto to the game at hand, wasn't yesterday's game a lot more fun? Good pitching from the starter and the pen and some timely hitting and we come away with the victory. On top of all of that Hill really came through with 3 doubles. Nice job Hill keep it up if you can come back like we know you can then this lineup gets a lot more dangerous.

Today for the game we have Brett Cecil (YAY!) taking on Mat Latos, Cecil has just been fantastic since getting shelled and pulled in 2+Innings against the Rangers over a month again. Since then he has pitched at least into the 7 inning everygame and twice went a full 8. Beauty. I have to admit I do not know a lot about Latos, so I am going to let the numbers speak for me.

2010 - Brett Cecil 7-2 10 10 0 0 0 0 64.1 48 23 23 5 16 47 3.22 .99

2010 - Mat Latos 6-4 12 12 1 1 0 0 72.1 53 26 26 9 20 64 3.24 1.01

On paper these two match up pretty closely with the biggest difference being that Cecil throws with his Left hand and Latos with his right. Looks like Latos is a bit more of a punch out pitcher then Cecil but regardless this looks like it could be a good one.

I have said it before and I will say it again. It is awesome to see Cecil compete like this. I have always liked the kid and it really hurt to see some people write him off over the past couple years as a bust. So to see him come back like this it just makes me want to say. Told ya so.

For the lineup. Wise is back on the bench and yet again, so is Lewis. Bautista is back batting leadoff and is in right with Lind taking back his 3 spot while playing Left. Buck behind the plate and pretty much everything else is the same. Cecil takes his 9th spot in the order behind Encarncaion and Buck in the order.

One last bit of sad news, John McDonald's father passed away this morning, my deepest condolences to John and his family. I know his father wasn't doing well but it is at these moments when you always hold out hope and with it being so close to Father's Day I know John is going to be in for a tough a couple days. And while I don't expect he will read this he should know that both he and family are in the thoughts of an entire fanbase.

Tune in after the jump for lineups and series info.

Current Series

Blue Jays lead the series 1-0

Mon 06/14 WP: Shaun Marcum (6 - 3)
SV: Kevin Gregg
LP: Jon Garland (6 - 5)
6 - 3 win

Toronto Blue Jays
@ San Diego Padres

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010, 10:05 PM EDT
Petco Park

Brett Cecil vs Mat Latos

Partly cloudy. Winds blowing from left to right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Game time temperature around 65.

Complete Coverage >

Wed 06/16 6:35 PM EDT

TORONTO AT SAN DIEGO
at 10:05 p.m. ET, Petco Park

Thumbnail image for BlueJaysRetro.gifBLUE JAYS (35-30, 6.0 GB AL EAST)
1. Jose Bautista, RF
2. Aaron Hill, 2B
3. Adam Lind, LF
4. Vernon Wells, CF
5. Alex Gonzalez, SS
6. Lyle Overbay, 1B
7. John Buck, C
8. Edwin Encarnacion, 3B
9. Brett Cecil, P

Pitching: Cecil (7-2, 3.22)

PadresRetro.jpgPADRES (37-27, -- GB NL WEST)
1. David Eckstein, 2B
2. Chase Headley, 3B
3. Adrian Gonzalez, 1B
4. Scott Hairston, LF