clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Three more home runs from the Jays, Jays beat Mariners

Mariners 3 Blue Jays 5

Vernon Wells hit a two run homer in the first inning, Edwin Encarnacion had a solo in the second and Travis Snider had another 2 run shot in the fourth and that was all the offense needed. It was nice to see Travis hit one out, he was robbed on line drives his first two at bats. We had 8 hits on the day. Two each for Jose Bautista, John Buck and Edwin. One from Snider and Wells.

Marc Rzepczynski had his best start since August 13th against the Angels. He went 6.1, gave up 7 hits, 2 earned, walked 3 and struck out 8. How much of that was Scrabble pitching well and how much was the Mariners being lousy, I don't know. The only batter he had trouble with was Ichiro, who went 4 for 4, with a walk and scored 2 of the M's runs.

Shawn Camp got the last 2 outs of the 7th. Scott Downs pitched a perfect 8th, using just 5 pitches. Kevin Gregg made it exciting at the end, giving up 3 hits and 1 run, to pick up his 34th run save. He'd hate to give us a nice, boring, 3 up 3 down 9th.  To be fair, Travis Snider misplayed a fly ball into a double, that really should have been an error. But John MacDonald made a nice driving catch on a line drive to even things out.

Jays of the Day are Wells (.179 WPA), Scrabble (.147) and Encarnacion (.098). Honorable mention to Moonraker, Camp and Downs. No Suckage Jay today.

Tomorrow night Kyle Drabek starts for the Jays. David Pauley (2-8. 4.14) starts for the M's. The good news is it will be on the normal Sportsnet channels so we all will get to watch.