Today in Bluebird Banter History

New, comments

First up, Happy Birthday to Damaso Garcia who turns 56 today. If you want to read about him, he was number 28 on our All-Time Jays list. Last we heard Damaso wasn't well, so I'm hoping he's doing better now.

One year ago: the Jays traded for Dana Eveland. That didn't work out so well.

Two years ago: it was announced that Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids back in 2003. I was feeling sorry for him for a couple of minutes there, but fortunately the feeling passed quick.

Three years ago: the Jays avoided going to arbitration with Alex Rios by signing him to a one-year deal. A couple of months later we locked him up with a 6 year, $64 million deal that the White Sox are paying now.

Four years ago: Hugo speculated on the possibilities of a 'computerized strike zone' and 'instant replay' for baseball. Hugo is alway ahead of his time.

Five years ago: Mark W. analyzed the, then recent, signing of Jose Molina's brother Bengie. I don't know about you but I had forgotten that Bengie was a Jay for a season there. He gave us a good season, hitting 19 home runs with a .284.

Ten  Fifteen years ago, before Bluebird Banter came about, Dave Winfield announced his retirement. Dave spent one year as DH for the Jays, with a .290/.377/.491 line and 26 home runs. Winfield was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2001.