Jays fall to Yankees in rubber match - Jose Bautista leaves with Neck tightness

New, 10 comments

Final - 5.1.2011 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
Toronto Blue Jays 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 6 0
New York Yankees 1 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 X 5 6 0
WP: Ivan Nova (2 - 2)
SV: Mariano Rivera (10)
LP: Jesse Litsch (2 - 2)

Complete Coverage >

As you can see by the line, not a fun one for the Jays. We were done in with one bad inning that was a combination of a few things. A bad decision by Escobar and a very bad 3-2 pitch by Jesse Litsch to Curtis Granderson and the game was basically done. There were a few bright spots and some even more depressing spots as the game progressed though.

Most notable about this game isn't the fact that we lost, it was the fact that we lost Jose Bautista in the late innings due to what the team is calling "Neck Tightness", now there has been some quotes floating around on twitter that say this is not something that is expected to make him even miss one game but it is still not good to see. Before leaving the game in the late innings Bautista was 0-2 with 2BBs.

Litsch was both good and bad in the game, as mentioned he did have the one bad inning but all in all he gave up 6hits and 2BB pitching into the 7th inning. Our bullpen came in from there and was fantastic, Casey Janssen finished out the 7th with 2Ks and Carlos Villaneuva had a clean 8th. They put up a graphic on the Sportsnet broadcast showing the opp. avg for all of our relievers and I have to say that I am impressed. Going into the season with so many new arms our bullpen seemed like it was going to be a big question mark, but so far it looks great.

Our hitters had their chances but were never able to cash enough runs in, we had 6 hits total on the day and 6BBs. Adam Lind went 2-4 with a HR, David Cooper got his first ever hit and went 2-3 with a BB, J.P Arencibia and Rajai Davis had our other two hits. One thing that was really fun to watch was Davis on the basepaths, he was only 1-3 on the day but he also drew 2BBs which was great to see, he was driving the Yankees nuts while he was out there, but as most things with the running game, it can help and hurt. Davis did manage to swipe two bags during the game but was thrown out trying to steal second in the top of the 5th. It was a beautiful throw, but still sucks to get thrown out.

Back to Jose Bautista, according to Tony Ambrogio on twitter, Bautista has indicated he has had a tight neck for a few games now but today it got really tight, as mentioned earlier it is not something that is likely to keep him out but it is obviously not something we want to hear. As fans we hear a lot of spin from players and the team about tightness and injuries, hopefully this is one of those cases where they are being straightforward and it really is nothing to worry about because if we lose Bautista we are in a ton of trouble.

Next up we fly down to Tampa Bay to take on the Rays at the Trop. First game of the series goes Tuesday night at 6:40 PM Est. Seems like a weird start time but  at least we have an extra travel day to get down to Tampa. So far the team has indicated they will not skip Jo-Jo in the rotation, but I have to imagine he is getting near the end of his rope.

Jays of the Day -  None

Suckage numbers - Jesse Litsch (-.252), John McDonald (-.132), Yunel Escobar (-.126), Edwin Encarnacion (-.119)

For those who are new, we use Fangraphs calculation of WPA for the JotD and Suckage Numbers.