Minor League Recap: a quick trip through the minors.

New, 7 comments

Las Vegas (won 7-0):

Brett Lawrie went 2-for-5 with a double and a strikeout, he also had a deep lineout that could well have been a double. Now at .340/.375/.576. I was watching his first at bats in gameday and his approach seemed solid. He didn't swing at stuff out of the strikezone, and he took a good number of pitches. Not sure why he's not walking, perhaps he's just too good at making solid contact. I wish I had some numbers on how often he hits foul balls.

Travis Snider went 0-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout. .395/.490/.488. They say he's improved but I'm sure they'd like to see some home runs. It's Vegas, out of all places, and he's still not hit a homer. A slap hitting Snider is not a Snider, so I'm beginning to think the decision to let him work it out in Vegas was justified.

Brian Jeroloman was 1-for-2 with a walk and a hit by pitch. .258/.375/.303. Still getting on base like a boss, but his power from last year has disappeared. His line drive rate is a very healthy 25% though. Depending on his defense (which was supposed to be his calling card), his left-handedness makes him a possible backup catcher.

Mike McCoy was 1-for-3 with 2 walks and a strikeout. .296/.472/.370. Although he's not much of a hitter, he really knows his strikezone and will make pitchers work to get him out. That's the kind of glove-first utility man I can live with. Too bad for him he's always the first guy to go down.

Adam Loewen was 1-for-4 with a home run and a strikeout. .259/.305/.509. Hitting for lots of power, his bat is pretty hot.

Luis Perez: 8 IP, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO. His updated K/BB (25/16) rate still isn't impressive, but Perez is an extreme groundballer. He currently has a 60% groundball rate. I'd like to see him used against lefties in a relief role instead of Octavio "Farrell thinks I can get lefties out but I'm not so sure" Dotel. Perhaps next year, when hopefully we're rid of the Dotel experiment.

New Hampshire (lost 3-0):

Anthony Gose went 2-for-3, yay! No strikeouts, yay! But he did get caught stealing. At 62.8% groundballs he's not giving himself the chance to hit for power, but then he should be able to leg out a few infield hits with his speed. .252/.331/.319, his bat has come around after a slow start. Is it just regression to the (BABIP) mean or can we expect him to hit even better as he adapts to this new level?

Adeiny Hechavarria went 1-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout. Wait, what? Another walk for Hech! He is now hitting .244/.267/.415 in May. Still not that impressive, but perhaps he's getting there.

The others: well they didn't do much. Sierra, d'Arnaud and Tolisano all went 1-for-3 and McDade 0-for-4 (but he didn't strike out!).

Dunedin (won 6-2):

A.J. Jimenez is hitting the ball. He went 2-for-5 with a strikeout and is now hitting .356/.398/.505. Before we proclaim him a future all-star though, I'd like to point out that his .442 BABIP probably isn't going be sustainable.

Kenny Wilson had a good day going 3-for-4 with a double an a walk. Even after that his OBP is still just .270. He's not a prospect anymore, really.

Speaking of guys who were once good prospects, Kevin Ahrens went 1-for-4 with a home run, a walk and a strikeout. His peripherals are nothing special but he's finally hitting line drives at a good rate for the first time in his career.

Brad Glenn went 2-for-4 with a walk and a home run. But he's still too old for this level, and he's still one-dimensional: just power.

Sean Ochinko went 2-for-4 also (but no extra bases or walks), which made his BABIP climb all the way to a lofty .179. His batted ball rates are unpromising though (just 8.9% line drives and lots of grounders)

Ryan Tepera is not high on our list of pitching prospects, but he is a decent pitcher for Dunedin. He went 5 innings giving up 1 run, while walking one and striking out one. He had the groundball going for him in this start though, at 55% groundballs. Just 39.8% on the season though, which doesn't get me nearly as excited as a >50% rate would.

Lansing (won 10-1):

Lance Durham is old for this level. But going 1-for-2 with a home run and 3 walks is still nice to see. In just 33 PA he's hit .261/.485/.478.

Carlos Perez was 1-for-5 with a double and a walk. .288/.353/.385. Perhaps my expectations for him were a bit too aggressive as I thought he'd do (even) better than a 11/19 BB/K ratio and little power, but then his line drive rate at 22.1% is encouraging and he's new to this level.

Marcus Knecht was 0-for-3 but got on base with a walk and a hit by pitch. .316/.402/.506.

Jake Marisnick went 2-for-5 with a double and a strikeout. .325/.412/.521

Michael Crouse went 1-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout. .242/.342/.516

K.C. Hobson found some BABIP and went 3-for-5 with a strikeout. .218/.323/.264. Discipline is great, but he's got to hit the ball for power as a first baseman.

Casey Lawrence had a good start: 6 IP, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO. His K% is low at 17, but his walk rate (2.8%) is impressive and his GB% is a positive 54. Unfortunately he's old for the level and is a long shot to make the majors.