Jose Bautista Hits an Extra Inning Homer: Jays Beat Twins

New, 51 comments

Blue Jays 9 Twins 3 (11 innings)

It looked like one of those games where we just couldn't score, then came the 11th inning. Corey Patterson singles, to lead of the inning, and Jose Bautista follows with an opposite field homer. Thanks Corey for not stealing in front of him. The home run was a lot better than an intentional walk. 4 walks, a single, a double and a sac fly later we were suddenly up by 6.

I thought Jo-Jo Reyes had as good a start as we've seen from him this season. It was helped out by an umpire that didn't mind calling low strikes, but he did get some ground balls today and he struck out 6 in his 5.2 inning. He gave up 10 hits, but unlike most of his starts, most of the hits seemed to be soft things that found holes. He gave up 2 broken bat singles in a row at one point. He did give up his 3rd home run of the year, two games in a row that he has given up a home run now after only allowing 1 in his first 6 starts. We knew he couldn't keep up that luck forever.

Our bullpen, once again, did an amazing job. We got 5.1 innings of shutout ball from them again today. Jason Frasor came in with 2 on and 2 out in the 6th, after Farrell pulled Reyes, and got a needed out. Marc Rzepczynski gave up a single and got an out to start the 7th, then Farrell brought in Octavio Dotel and he got 2 strikeouts to get out of the inning. Nice to see him used as a ROOGY. Casey Janssen pitched a perfect 8th. Jon Rauch pitched the 9th and 10th. Shawn Camp pitched a quick 11th after we were up by 6.

We had a few offensive heroes today. J.P. Arencibia hit a homer in the 2nd and a 2 run double in the 11th. Corey Patterson drove in the tying run in the 8th, with a triple and got on with a single in front of Bautista. Yunel Escobar was 3 for 6.

Jays of the Day are Bautista (.323 WPA), Patterson (.291), Rauch (.274) and Janssen (.107). I was surprised that JP didn't have better number after the homer and the double, but he's just a .011 so no JoD for him. Guys with Suckage numbers are Mac (-.154), Rivera (-.148, 0 for 4 with 4 k and a walk) and Hill (-.139) though he smoked the ball to CF, Spam made a great play on what should have be, at least, a double.

It is too bad that we couldn't have scored those 6 runs while Reyes was still in the game. Would be nice to get him a win. He really does need things to go right to be effective, having an umpire that gives the low strike, like today, is big part of it. And then even when everything goes right, he can give up 10 hits in 5.2 innings.

Nick Blackburn pitched a good game against us, he was helped by the low strikes too. He had 8 strikeouts in 7.2 innings. It is a lucky thing that their bullpen is so bad.

That's 4 wins in a row for our Jays, if they can win again tomorrow (Brandon Morrow (1-1, 3.06) vs Brian Duensing (2-2, 3.32)) they are back to .500. It is a 2:00 Eastern game. Last week they looked awful. This week much better. It is amazing what a few W's will do.

The game thread was great fun today, thanks everyone. Join us again for tomorrow's thread.