clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Great Start for Henderson Alvarez: Jays Beat Orioles.

Blue Jays 13 Orioles 0

That was a fun game, I think we needed that after yesterday's debacle. I was ready to give up on baseball, but I'm much happier now.

I'm really enjoying Henderson Alvarez. Lots of movement on his pitches. I don't expect every one of his starts to be this good, but it is nice to get a good example of his potential. I think he's going to be a personal favorite. He pitched us 8 innings (he likely could have finished but why push it), allowing just three hits (one a gift from first base ump, Joe West. I don't know what he was watching as Lind clearing tagged the runner long before he got to the bag), no walks and 5 strikeouts. More impressive yet, he had 16 ground outs to 1 fly out and had 2 double plays turned behind him.

Our batters really enjoyed getting a chance to face former teammate Jo-Jo Reyes. They knocked Reyes out of the game after 7 runs in 2.2 innings and then scored another 6 off the Orioles bullpen. We hit 4 home runs, one each for Jose Molina, Edwin Encarnacion, Jose Bautista and Kelly Johnson, getting his first as a Jay. We had 20 hits. 4 each for Yunel Escobar, Eric Thames and EE (a triple short of the cycle, and about 2 inches short of a second home run). Adam Lind (who also came very close to a homer, having one caught over the wall for the second night in a row) and Johnson had 2 hits each. Every other starter, except for Mike McCoy, had 1.

Jays of the Day are Thames (.159), Alvarez (.125) and Edwin (.105).  No Suckage Jays, but a Suckage umpire, sorry Joe.

The rubber match of the series is an afternoon game (well, a morning game out here in the west), a 12:35 Eastern start. Luis Perez (3-2, 3.29), who has looked far better than I thought he would as a starter, gets the nod for the Jays. Tommy Hunter (2-1, 5.97) starts for the Orioles.