clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Mad Man with a Box - Sept 17th 2011 - Yankees @ Jays - Gamethread

I have had a lot of discussions this year with colleagues of mine from work. They are insistent the Jays took a step back this year, especially with regards to the pitching staff. Usually my response to such things is yes on paper they have generally been worse, but it isn't like you expect a development curve for a pitching staff to be completely linear, especially for one as young as ours. When I look at our staff and I see Dustin McGowan returning and young promising pitchers like Alvarez plus the numerous arms in the system I can't help but disregard the thought of taking a step back this year.

Today we get to see Henderson Alvarez last start of the year at home for the Jays. So far he has been good in his short career and you can really see the promise the kid has. The question remains on how he will fit into the rotation picture next year, but we have an entire winter to discuss that ad naseum on the site so YAY!

2011 - Henderson Alvarez 1-2 7 7 0 0 0 0 43.2 41 16 15 5 7 29 3.09 1.10

2011 - Bartolo Colon 8-9 26 23 1 1 0 0 152.0 151 70 60 19 36 128 3.55 1.23

Edwin out of the lineup today and Cooper takes over at DH, Lind moves back tot he clean up spot and Loewen heads out in place of Thames in LF. Johnson moves up to second spot in the lineup. Now the sixth straight game without Escobar, McCoy remains in the lineup at SS and leading off.

Full series info and Lineups after the jump

Current Series

Blue Jays lead the series 1-0

Fri 09/16 WP: Casey Janssen (5 - 0)
LP: Boone Logan (5 - 3)
5 - 4 win

New York Yankees
@ Toronto Blue Jays

Saturday, Sep 17, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT
Rogers Centre

Bartolo Colon vs Henderson Alvarez

Partly cloudy. Winds blowing in from right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Game time temperature around 60.

Complete Coverage >

Sun 09/18 1:07 PM EDT

Lineup

TORONTO BLUE JAYS NEW YORK YANKEES