clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Jays walk off in the 10th 3-2 over the Angels, Romero tosses a gem.

TORONTO,CANADA - SEPTEMBER 19:  Adam Lind #26 of the Toronto Blue Jays fouls a ball against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in a MLB game on September 19, 2011 at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, Canada. (Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)
TORONTO,CANADA - SEPTEMBER 19: Adam Lind #26 of the Toronto Blue Jays fouls a ball against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in a MLB game on September 19, 2011 at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, Canada. (Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Yet another walk off win for the Jays tonight, I could get used to these things.

To be fair, the Jays never should have gone into extras to begin with. The team squandered numerous opportunities to score a go more runs and just couldn't get things across. At one point earlier in the game they had the bases loaded with no out and Colby Rasmus grounded into the 3-2-3 double play. Luckily J.P. Arencibia was able to follow that up with a 2 out single to RF to score 2 runs. Thos would be the only two runs the Jays would score again until extra innings.

On the mound Ricky Romero was fantastic and it is too bad that the team couldn't get him another W. There has been a lot of talk the last two years of whether or not Ricky Romero was an ace, or just a very good pitcher (who cares, but I digress). You hear a lot of talk about a true ace of the staff will get wins, well if that is the case over the last 12 starts for Romero the Jays are 11-1, Romero himself is 8-1 over those same 12.  Overall Romero threw 9IP with only 6Hs, 5Ks and 0BBs, the problem was 2 of those 6 hits went over the fence. Casey Janssen came out for the 10th and was fantastic, things look bad for a second when Wells opened up the innings with a double, but a sac bunt, strikeout and ground out later got the Jays out of the inning and secured the win.

At the plate Arencibia and Johnson had 2 hits a piece, Thames had 3, Bautista and Encarnacion each had 1 apiece. Thames, Bautista, Encarnacion and Lawrie each took a walk. There were a few problems again on the basepaths. The Jays were caught stealing twice, on the season the team is running at about 70% (I think it is about 72% IIRC) and lately it has definitely seemed like more caught then safe. There also seemed to be yet another missed hit and run sign. I asked in the game thread but it bears repeating, just how damned difficult is the teams hit and run sign? The team had a bunch of help in the tenth scoring the winning run. The lead off batter Mike McCoy reached on an error before getting moved to 2nd on a single by Thames. Jose Bautista grounded into a force out at 2nd putting runners on the corners with 1 away. The Angels then pulled Hunter in from the OF to have a 5 man drawn in infield, with Lind on the plate he grounds towards first and Hunter grabs the ball. Instead of trying for the double play he tries to gun the runner out at home. Not a terrible move because with a good throw McCoy was out, but he throws wide of the plate and the Jays win.

There were a few decisions in game that made people in the game thread cringe, especially in the ninth inning with 2 runners on and Brett Lawrie at the plate he was asked to bunt. He did so successfully moving the runners over to 2nd and 3rd but I really hate that move. I know its easy to say that in hindsight because it didn't work but I think I have made my feelings on this matter clear before now anyways.

Jays of the Day: Romero .451, Janssen .143, Johnson .132, Thames .115, Arencibia .103

Suckage: Rasmus -.241, Molina -.209