Was there any positive about that? Well yeah:
- Colby Rasmus had 3 hits including a home run. So good to see things falling him for him. He also made an amazing catch.
- J.P. Arencibia hit 2 home runs.
- Brett Lawrie is starting to hit the ball hard. He had a double today.
- Jesse Chavez wasn't awful in long relief. 5 innings, 4 hits, 3 earned, 1 homer, 7 k, no walks.
- Omar Vizquel made a smart play, with Elvis Andrus on first, Josh Hamilton popped a ball up. Omar saw Andrus go back to first, let the ball drop and took the out at second, trading Elvis for Josh on the base paths. If it had been a close game, that could have been a important moment.
The negitive. Everything else:
- Kyle Drabek rarely found the strike zone and when he did, he was hit hard. 3.0, 8 hits, 9 earned, 3 walks, 1 k, 2 home runs. He's coming off 2 fairly good starts, so I'll give him a pass but it wasn't good. Last start he gave up 3 hits, 2 earned, but one of those hits was the "home run" off the catwalk wire. The start before there was only 1 earned. Today 34 strikes/33 balls.
- Yunel Escobar left the game with 'groin tightness'. No word if he'll miss games. At least we had the fun of watching Lawrie at short. I think he only had one play, a popup. If Yunel or Kelly Johnson have to go on the DL, I'm thinking we'll see Adeiny Hechavarria up. If they just miss a couple of games, we still need a move. Maybe McCoy will be up for someone.
- David Cooper was 0 for 4, with one hard hit ball.
- Eric Thames (who I'm going to refer to as Eric 'missed the cutoff man' Thames from now on) misplayed a fly ball to the wall then threw it over the cutoff man, again. It would have been a tough catch, but a good outfielder would have made it.
- Rajai Davis was 0 for 2, for those thinking he should play in Eric's spot, you can't throw a ball far enough off the plate that he won't swing at it right now.
By the numbers, no Jay of the Day today, Yunel had the high number at .047 WPA, but I think I'll give JP one. I figure if you hit two homers you should get a JoD. Suckage goes to Kyle (-.365) and Eric (-.101, and that doesn't count the misadventures in the outfield). I know, I gotta get past how much Eric has been pissing me off lately. He's gotta play, Snider is hurt and Vlad can't play left, and, even if he could, he won't be up for a week at best.
Surprisingly since the series was so bad, we had almost 1300 comments in the game thread and it was great fun. Thanks to everyone for keeping level headed and for making the thread fun, even if the game wasn't. I really appreciate it.
Tomorrow the Jays are back home to face the Orioles for 3 games. Drew Hutchison (please pitch better Drew) goes against Tommy Hunter. Odds are there is another roster move in our future before tomorrow night.
I'm going to go drink and forget this series.