We've been, slowly, looking at how the players on our top prospect list are doing this season. 1-5 are here, 6-10 here and 11-15 here.
16. Dwight Smith, Jr: Son of former major league outfielder, we picked him as a supplemental pick, number 53 overall. He's played 15 games for Bluefield, playing CF, if he is anything like his dad, I can't see him staying there. Dwight is hitting .217/.288/.367, 2 home runs, with 6 walks and 7 strikeouts.
17. Matthew Dean: Picked in the 13th round of last year's draft and then paid way way over slot (the good old days), is playing 3B for Bluefield. After 15 games he is hitting .189/.283/.321 with 6 walks and 23 strikeouts. He's also made 7 errors. Like Smith, it is a very small sample.
18. Asher Wojciechowski: A first round pick in 2010, things are going well for Asher in Dunedin. He is 6-2 with a 3.87 ERA, 18 walks and 66 strikeouts in 81.1 innings. In his last 4 starts, he has gone 6 innings in each, 3-0, 18 hits, 4 earned, 7 walks and 22 strikeouts. All seems good.
19. Joel Carreno:. After looking really good for the Jays in a handful of relief appearances, last year, this season hasn't gone as well. He's had a 6.60 ERA in 15 innings (2 starts, 4 relief appearances) in the majors. He had 7 starts in New Hampshire, going 1-4 with a 4.71 ERA, 27 hits, 4 home runs, 14 walks and 37 strikeouts. He has also had 7 starts in Vegas, with a lovely 9.73 ERA, 2-4, 42 hits, 17 walks, 5 home runs, 22 strikeouts in 28.2 innings. He's had 3 starts there, since his last cup of coffee in Toronto, and they haven't gone well. In 8.1 innings, he's allow 17 runs, 15 hits, 13 walks and 5 k. I don't know what's going on with him.
20. Marcus Knecht: Marcus isn't having the best of time. They moved him up to Dunedin, after having a good season at Lansing last year, and he is hitting just .207/.303/.397, 10 home runs in 80 games. He had a good May, hitting .275/.353/.539 in 28 games that month, but it has been his only good month so far.