A Good Start From Brett Cecil Wasted, A's Beat Jays

New, 50 comments
TORONTO, CANADA - JULY 24:  Yunel Escobar #5 of the Toronto Blue Jays jumps over a sliding Jonny Gomes #31 of the Oakland Athletics during MLB game action July 24, 2012 at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Brad White/Getty Images)
TORONTO, CANADA - JULY 24: Yunel Escobar #5 of the Toronto Blue Jays jumps over a sliding Jonny Gomes #31 of the Oakland Athletics during MLB game action July 24, 2012 at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Brad White/Getty Images)
Getty Images

A's 7 Blue Jays 2

The good news is that Brett Cecil had a good start. 6 innings, 5 hits, 2 earned, 2 walks with 8 strikeouts. 8 strikeouts. His only problem came with 2 outs in the 2nd, a ground ball single by Brandon Inge rolled through the infield, then Brett left a ball up through the middle of the plate to Dan Norris, who hit it out. The only time the A's got a runner past 1st base against Brett.

The only other good parts were home runs by Travis Snider, in the 3rd, and J.P. Arencibia in the 9th. And Brett Lawrie went 3 for 4.

Beyond that there wasn't much good.

The bad? Chad Beck came out for the 7th, got 2 quick outs and then gave up a double and a triple. Beck out, Happ in. Happ wasn't good. Happ gave up a double, 1 walks and a single before getting the last out of the inning. 2-1 when the inning started. 7-1 when it was over. Happ pitched the 8th and 9th without allowing another base runner, but by then it was too late.

Happ has been a starter the last couple of seasons, so maybe it wasn't fair to bring him into the middle of the inning, with a runner on base, but still, all he needed was 1 out.

Jay of the Day is Cecil (.111 WPA). Honorable mentions to Snider and Lawrie. Suckage goes to Happ (-.175), Beck (-.114), Rasmus (-.112, 0 for 3, k), Lind (-.110, 0 for 4, k) though he was robbed on a line drive and Escobar (-.107, 1 for 4).

I forgot to mention: Josh Reddick made an amazing throw from medium RF to get Brett Lawrie trying to tag up from 2nd to 3rd. I honestly don't think Jose Bautista could have made that throw, but then I don't think Reddick could do it again either.

It really wasn't a fun game, we really had a tough time with Travis Blackley's curve.

Tomorrow it is A.J. Griffin (2-0, 2.70) starting for the A's. Ricky Romero (8-6, 5.22) goes for the Jays.