So, maybe you haven't heard, but there were some trades in Major League Baseball last night. We expect more to happen today before today's 4 pm Eastern non-waiver trade deadline. Here's a quick recap:
- Atlanta Braves acquire OF Reed Johnson and LHP Paul Maholm from the Chicago Cubs for RHP Arodys Vizcaino and RHP Jaye Chapman. Vizcaino had Tommy John surgery this spring, and was given a B+ grade by John Sickels this year. He was ranked between Julio Teheran and Randall Delgado in the Braves' prospect list. Chapman is 25 and has yet to reach the big leagues, and he is projected to be have middle relief ceiling. Maholm (3.74 ERA, 4.12 FIP, 6 K/9) will be inserted right into the Braves' rotation, while former Blue Jay Reed Johnson will provide a good bat off the bench.
- Texas Rangers acquire C Geovany Soto from the Chicago Cubs for RHP Jacob Brigham. The Cubs' player sale continued when they shipped the very well-groomed Soto to the Rangers, who felt they needed a change in their backup catcher. In a corresponding move, they DFAed Yorvit Torrealba, who hasn't had a good season at the plate--but neither had Soto. Going the other way is Texas League (AA) all-star Jacob Brigham. Brigham was not a top prospect in the Rangers' system.
- Los Angeles Dodgers acquire RHP Brandon League from the Seattle Mariners for RHP Logan Bawcom and OF Leon Landry. We all know Brandon League around here, he was the fireball reliever who was traded for Brandon Morrow. League was an all-star last season, but he was never given a fair shake among Mariners' fans because of who he was traded for. Bawcom is 23 and was the closer for the Mariners' high-A and AA teams
- Toronto Blue Jays acquire RHP Steve Delabar from the Seattle Mariners for OF Eric Thames.
- Toronto Blue Jays acquire RHP Brad Lincoln from the Pittsburgh Pirates for OF Travis Snider.
- Los Angeles Dodgers acquire OF Shane Victorino from the Philadephia Phillies for RHP Josh Lindblom plus minor leaguer RHP Ethan Martin. This deal has not been officially announced at the time of writing, but word is that Domonic Brown was pulled from the Lehigh Valley (AAA) lineup for the game this afternoon and is heading down to join the big club to fill in the outfield slot vacated by Victorino. The Phillies get back the Dodgers' former set-up man in Lindblom, who became a trade chip after L.A. trade for Brandon League. Victorino is expected to play in left field in his return to the Dodgers organization. He will be a free agent this coming offseason. Lindblom is just 25 and has recorded a 3.02 ERA, although he does have a 5.05 FIP and 4.33 xFIP.
Those are the trades that did happen, but of course for every actual trade there are always 15-20 rumours that float around. What have you heard?